[LargeFormat] Glorious weekend....

Clive Warren largeformat@f32.net
Mon May 14 11:48:07 2001

At 07:27 14/05/01 -0700, Les Newcomer wrote:

>Clive Warren wrote:
snip

> > I now have a 65mm Super Angulon which should be interesting to use on both
> > 4x5 and a 2x3 Crown Graphic. Has anyone used the 65mm on 4x5?  Am guessing
> > that there will not be much in the way of movements as the coverage is
> > stated at 155mm.  Am more interested in the aperture required for good 4x5
> > coverage with no movements.
> >
> > The lens may end up being used only on the 2x3 depending on how far it
> > needs to be stopped down for 4x5. Any experiences with the 65mm would be
> > interesting.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >              Clive
>
>I use a 65 SA on my Crown  without a problem. Since all of my clients
>want prints I rarely compose to the corners, usually cropping a 1/16"
>inprinting.  Never shot it lower than f11 so I don't know about
>sharpness below that.
>
>Maybe it's just me but I've been know to tweak a couple of mm of rise
>out of it, granted stuck inside a Crown, that's about all I could get.
>
>I posted a grab shot of a photo in my office, it's 16x20 so I couldn't
>scan it, so forgive the amatuerish copyjob.  This was shot with a 65 SA
>on a Calumet 4x5 with about 3/8"-5/16" of rise, cropped very little. In
>the upper right corner you can see a glimpse of a white header that ran
>accross the top. The corners vignetted and it was obvious so I had the
>lab open flash the header into (near) oblivion
>
>http:www.ismi.net/~lnphoto/cobo.JPG
>
>I just did some testing with a 58 Grandagon on my Crown, I hope to post
>something soon. as Crocodile Dunee might say, "Now THAWT'S a wyde angle lens!"
>
>Les

Thanks for the feedback Les.  That photo is rather impressive - the
perspective is quite stunning and I bet your client
was very happy.  Am amazed that the little 65mm SA produced such excellent
results.  Seems that movement is not really an option with the lens unless
you want to crop a little or play around in the darkroom.

Am now motivated into using the lens for some architectural shots - had not
really considered this to be an option given the lack of movements possible
using the lens.

There is a Grandagon in my 4x5 outfit which is occasionally packed in a
separate bag to the rest of the 4x5 field outfit.  It's just a little too
big and heavy for regular use out there in the wild wide world unless
something special is planned.

Is the Crown Graphic a 4x5?  Am guessing it is as the Grandagon would be a
bit of a tight squeeze on a 2x3.....