[LargeFormat] Enlargers......

Clive Warren largeformat@f32.net
Tue May 1 09:37:19 2001

At 16:49 01/05/01 +0800, you wrote:
snipety
>     I'll leave the Saunders and Omega question to others. The Dursts I have
>seen here in West Australia are well built but some drives do not seem to
>last with constant winding up and down. Perhaps the users were just heavy
>handed.
>The LPL's that are in the shop seem very precise. The 6x6 units command a
>good price in the secondhand market and in most cases you can get accessory
>neg holders and switchable head units.
>
>snip snip
>     Uncle Dick

Uncle Dick,

Am surprised at you for doubting the Lancaster bomber of the enlarger world
;-)

Guess you have been looking at new Durst enlargers and are not referring to
the venerable Durst 138S - a beast that a few of us on the list have
lurking in our darkrooms...  It would be hard to imagine anything other
than a direct hit from a nuclear device causing any problems with the
up/down drive. The head is counterbalanced and the drive is through
friction rollers on a massive central column.  One of the Dursts in my
darkroom is over 40 years old and still going strong with a Chromega E
Dichroic colour 5x7 head :-)

Didn't know that LPL produced a large format enlarger - have seen and
admired the medium format products but have no need for any other
enlargers.  Sneaked most of my gear into the house between partners and
it's all too big to move :-)

All the best,
                 Clive   http://www.cocam.co.uk
                         Photographic Services, Filters & Equipment,
Infrared FAQ
                         http://www.f32.net
                         Large Format Travel and Stock Photography