[LargeFormat] Red dot Artar 150mm f.9

Clive Warren largeformat@f32.net
Mon Apr 9 05:54:00 2001

At 17:49 08/04/01 -0500, Pam Niedermayer wrote:

>chili wrote:
> >
> > Does anyone have any information on these lenses? I'm looking at buying one
> > in the next week and I'd like to know a little more about them. I know the
> > Artars in general are very sharp, perhaps someone out there has info on
> > image circle as well as current norm prices for them.
> >
> > Any info would be helpful.
> > Thanks in advance,
> > William
>
>A lot of them are listed at:
>http://www.businessnetplace.com/large_format/LF_Lens_Coverage.html,
>not the 150 though.
>
>Pam

Surprisingly (or not) there is a lens specification section on the f32.net
web site - at the following URL:

http://www.f32.net/Services/Equipment/Lenses/lensspecs.html

You need to allow it time to load as there are a large number of lenses listed.

The 150mm Red Dot Artar is not amongst the lenses, however the 150mm Golden
Dagor is.... legend has it that there is not a lot of difference between
the Red Dot and the Golden (rimmed) Dagor.  Perhaps someone here has
practical experience rather than armchair philosophy..... the Artar and the
Dagor are probably different types of lens formulations, the book of words
is not with me at the moment. The Goertz marketing was very good and their
lenses were excellent examples of their time.  Modern lenses will have
better resolution and higher contrast - but maybe that is not what you are
looking for :-)  The coverage of the Artar won't be anything near a modern
Schneider or Rodenstock lens.

I picked up a longer Red Dot Artar in barrel as it was cheap and performs
reasonably well.  The preference is to use a Kodak 12" Commercial now when
I need the longer focal length - or a 15" Wollensak......

If I was looking for an inexpensive 150mm lens then a 150mm Schneider Xenar
springs to mind - not the coverage of the more expensive contemporary 150mm
lens, but small light and with a modern shutter.....

All the best,
                 Clive   http://www.f32.net
                         Large Format Travel and Stock Photography