[LargeFormat] Planning Advice

Hornford, Dave largeformat@f32.net
Tue Apr 3 12:56:07 2001

Pam,

Why a Gowland? And, I may be reading more into your phrase, 'have to choose
a Toho'... but it implies I wouldn't want to.
I like the look of the Wisner Expedition/Pocket Expedition and admit I am
influenced by their styling - but am concerned about wood from a durability
& environmental variation standpoint (hot/cold/dry/humid)

Sorry about left out bits, for backpacking I'm limiting myself to 4x5 - for
non-backpacking I'll look into 5x7/8x10 in a bit. However one kit at a time.
Regarding lens I recognise that I will have to make trade-offs, and will
trade weight for function in this category. Again, for the non-backpacking
kit I'm more open. Regarding time & price - I'm quite open on both of them.
I'll wait as long as I need to either get what I want or arrange either
money for what I want

-----Original Message-----
From: Pam Niedermayer [mailto:pam_pine@cape.com]
Sent: Sunday, April 01, 2001 9:49 AM
To: largeformat@f32.net
Subject: Re: [LargeFormat] Planning Advice

Most of the major vendors have light weight field cameras. For
"feather" weight you'll probably have to choose the Toho. A friend
loves his Phillips 4x5; and it's a great camera, but not cheap and
probably backordered. Also check out Canham, Wisner (their Tech Field
models are heavy, but not the Expedition series). I use a Gowland
Pocket View, about 3 lbs, found a used one for $300 a few months ago.
Also there are Fatif in Italy, Panfield in South Africa, Ebony.

All depends on the format size you want, how much you want to spend,
how long you can/will wait. If you'll be using large heavy lenses,
your options are narrowed.

Pam

--
Pamela G. Niedermayer