[LargeFormat] Re: Field camera

Bob Younger largeformat@f32.net
Sun Apr 1 13:16:05 2001

The other consideration is the weight of film and holders. If weight is a
major factor then you'll want to go for ready-loads. They also solve the
problems associated with dust and light leaks in holders.
Kodak has finally admitted (backhandedly, in that they just quit making
them) that they can not make reliable two sided ready-loads, so you're now
free to choose either Fuji or Kodak. You can use the Polaroid holder for
either, but from a weight standpoint, the Fuji holder weighs almost nothing.
With ready loads you save a tremendous amount of space as well over holders.
And, you don't have to reload in tents, etc., risking more dirt and fogging
from those un(for)seen light rays that you didn't see until after you'd
loaded six holders.

Regarding lens choice; on my 4x5 I have a 90, 150, and 270. Richard Garrod
says you need six lenses for any format, adding a wider angle, a 210, and
probably a 400 or so. As you gain more experience with the LF environment,
you'll find you want lenses with lots of coverage, providing you with lots
of movement of lens and film plane for focus and perspective.

Have fun! And unless you're prepared to change formats don't EVER look at
the ground glass of an 8x10.

Bob Younger
ryounger@home.com
R.E. Younger, Photographer