[LargeFormat] paper negs

Stein largeformat@f32.net
Sat Mar 17 21:22:01 2001

Dear Tige,

    I will take the suggestion seriously. No, not the one that involved the
high bridge and the bucket of yoghurt - the one about the graded paper. If I
can find a few small packets at our local shop I will start with 0 or 1 and
see what comes up in the negatives.

    One misconception that I must correct, however - you referred to green
grass being a flat as a satin sheet. I was given 4 satin sheets for
Christmas to serve as glamour props in the studio. They came packed in
plastic envelopes and when they were unfolded they were not flat. Fool that
I was I thought a few minutes with a steam iron would serve to put them
right.

    I should have tried to iron the grass instead. Satin has a mind of its'
own and I suspect that it also has legs and feet - it crawled away from the
iron and board for hours. I did eventually get some control but am now
reluctant to let the ladies drape themselves in it for fear of wrinkles. As
far as the sensuous aspects of sleeping on the damn things - I think they
are either a fraud or an invitation to a chipped pelvis.

    In direct opposition to this experience in the studio I have to say that
the cloth manufacturers have really done some fun stuff with fake fur cloth.
Our local outlet has big rolls of various pelts and you can construct an
impossibly large fur wrap or rug from the  material at a reasonable cost. It
also has a mind of its' own and eats light but it drapes well no matter how
you see it. And no ironing!

    Uncle Dick

PS: I am also a big fan of fake plants. My local industrial area has a large
shop called " Endless Greenery " that deals in plastic, paper, and painted
plants. The variety is astounding and the opportunity for backgrouds that do
not wilt or fade is excellent. Some of them can even serve in foreground
situations if you are using soft focus.

    Mind you, it is not that easy being the proprietor of a shop that deals
in artificial plants. Apparently someone has to go in there every day during
the holiday breaks and not water the plants....