[LargeFormat] FERROTYPING

TigerShark largeformat@f32.net
Thu Mar 15 15:28:00 2001

Judging from the color and smell emitted from the canvas belt, you can tell
its history.  Repeated bleaching and washing may extract some or more hypo
complexes, though most are very firmly embedded in the fibers.  If you are
serious, belts could be replaced, or cleaned really well.

I would like to own a large drum type, because it does increase
productivity, and makes prints quite flat and stable.  I would not ferrotype
though, since I prefer the beautiful satiny airdried surface of glossy
fiberbased, over highgloss.  I would be using the drum as a drier with the
base facing the chrome drum.

TS

-----Original Message-----
From: largeformat-admin@f32.net [mailto:largeformat-admin@f32.net]On Behalf
Of Les Newcomer
Sent: Wednesday, March 14, 2001 6:44 PM
To: largeformat@f32.net
Subject: Re: [LargeFormat] FERROTYPING

Unless you are buying new, the platen will be scratched and every
scratch will be transferred to the print. The heated rotary dryers are
certainly faster and can be used for both ferrotyping and drying.  the
big pako driers go cheap used because nobody wants them The smaller
desktops I suspect are very expensive to buy new, but you can dry an
enourmous number of prints and takes up a lot less space than an equal
number of plates on racks.

There will be arguments that heat drying is not archival because there
will be residual hypo in the cloth belt from the last guy.  I say phooey