[LargeFormat] paper negs

TigerShark largeformat@f32.net
Thu Mar 15 15:18:00 2001

My son was in my darkroom often, even when he was under 3.  We made some
color photograms with "glow in the dark" bugs, adding all kinds of filters
and exposures.  Absolutely fantastc images.
We even put some of those bugs on the negative stage and enlarged them ,
using the color head to create great colors... and they glow !

Contact printing leaves, green or in different stages of decay, and other
thin, semi transparent objects create nice images too.  Use a piece of plate
glass to keep it all nice and tightly sandwiched.

You may want to use an 80A or 80B filter under the lens to eliminate some
more yellow from the light source.

TS

-----Original Message-----
From: largeformat-admin@f32.net [mailto:largeformat-admin@f32.net]On Behalf
Of Don Wilkes
Sent: Thursday, March 15, 2001 2:53 PM
To: largeformat@f32.net
Cc: largeformat@f32.net
Subject: RE: [LargeFormat] paper negs

At 01:56 PM 3/15/01 -0500, TigerShark wrote:
>Contact printing with paper as the negative..... I think the paper base
acts
>as a very yellow filter, hence grade 0 prints.  Add magenta filters or blue
>filters to compensate.  Also try printing on graded paper, which is just
>mostly blue sensitive.

Graded paper is virtually extinct in these parts (Victoria, BC, Canada), so
the comments on going magenta are well taken.

>I am almost sure that soon you will be making photograms as well.....
>Contact printing seems very inspiring sometimes.

I can see photograms in my future -- when my sweetie's grandchildren get a
bit older (they're 3 and under), and come up from the States to visit.  No
doubt they'll find grandpa's darkroom a weird and magical place, especially
after we do some photograms of their favourite marbles or glass ear-rings
or something!

Cheers,
\dw