[LargeFormat] Scanning B&W negs in colour

Clive Warren largeformat@f32.net
Wed Feb 21 13:13:47 2001

At 08:26 21/02/01 -0500, Guy Glorieux wrote:
>Clive,
>Perhaps these can be useful.
>Guy
>---------------------------------------
>Sullivan's Scanning tips
>http://www.hsdesign.com/scanning/tipswelcome.html
>
>The scanning FAQ
>http://www.infomedia.net/scan/
>
>Tony Sleep Photography
>http://www.cix.co.uk/~tsphoto/
>
>http://www.wasatchinc.com/filesize.htm
>
>and of course, Greenspun's: Philip and Alex's Guide to Web Publishing
>http://www.arsdigita.com/books/panda/index.html
>
>Clive Warren wrote:
>
> > Does anyone know a good web site with info. on this topic that they would
> > recommend or perhaps have experience that they would like to share on
> > scanning B&W negs?

Thanks for the URLs Guy - have popped along to one which gave some
enlightening info.

"The current PostScript specification only allows for 254 halftone steps
(the way a shade of grey is represented in print, 254 steps with pure white
and pure black which makes 256 total). The extra grey shades (bit depth)
may help to improve the scanners optical density (OD) range if implemented
properly. This can give you better shadow detail. Unfortunately most
moderately priced 30- and 36-bit desktop scanners implement the the
expanded bit depth only in color, opting for a more common lookup table
(LUT) approach to greyscale scanning."  Taken from |The Scanning FAQ
Compiled and maintained by Jeff Bone  -
http://www.infomedia.net/scan/The-Scan-FAQ.html

This would explain why it is better to scan in colour and manipulate
post-scan using image editing software.

Will pop along to the other URLs when I get the chance....

Hope things are warming up in Montreal.

All the best,
                 Clive   http://www.f32.net
                         Large Format Travel and Stock Photography