[LargeFormat] magnola

Clive Warren largeformat@f32.net
Mon Feb 12 17:16:12 2001

At 8:45 pm +0100 12/2/01, ffranta@volny.cz wrote:
>Hi Clive!
>(***=reply)
>
>>The MPP is a good camera - they were provided for military use and plenty
>>more ended up in colleges - so a lot of them had hard lives and
>
>*** Do you think that they have found their way outside UK? I mostly find
>used photo gear quite overpriced in UK than everywhere else (e.g. Germany,
>Czech,...). And most UK's used shops on the web had price for MPP VII
>around 160L body only, which is a bit steep for me (although it may be
>quite cheap with regard to normal LF prices). But from the specs, it sure
>looked nice.
>
>>1-1/100 and time shutters. Focusing: focusing screen, displaceable and
>>versatily tippingable frame of focusing screen.
>
>***	What do you think the sentence about focusing screen being displaceable
>mean? May it hint at an international back (which should be removable if I
>understand it right?) ? Was there ever anything like 5x7"/13x18cm
>international back?
>	And thanks for the link (though I knew it already. Have a look at the
>enlargers there for one of the cheapest 5x7" enlargers available, although
>simple one. My dream enlarger is the AGRAND :)
>
>*** Another question: the difference between 5x7" and 13x18 is very small.
>Are the outer dimensions of each system's holders and accessories same - ie
>are 5x7" holders usable on 13x18 cameras and vice versa? (same question wrt
>9x12cm and 4x5").
>	I am still very new to this LF, although already obsessed with it. I am
>looking forward to my first contact prints :) I *LOVE* contact prints.
>
>Thanks!
>	Frantisek

MPPs seem to have found their way around the world - more of them in
the UK where they were made. There is a link in the http://wwwf32.net
links page to the users club here in the UK which has loads of
information on the cameras and accessories. The MPPs are essentially
very similar to Technikas so they probably were not too popular in
Germany and that part of Europe.

You may be right about there being an "International" style back for
the Magnola. Are you able to have a look at the camera and tell us
more?

As for the film holder sizes I cannot help you but there is at least
one list member who probably knows the answer to your question about
relative sizes between the metric and imperial film holders.

Once you have looked at a few of your 4x5 or 5x7 trannies on a light
box you may find it difficult to go back to using 35mm :-)

--
All the best,

             Clive Warren   http://www.f32.net
                            Large Format travel and stock photography