[LargeFormat] magnola

Verna Knapp largeformat@f32.net
Sat Feb 10 13:58:02 2001

> Here lies the crux of large format any why medium format has taken off
> in the last few years.
> A good scanner capable of negs/trannies in 4x5 is two to three times
> that of medium format. Once you hit 5x7 you need a drum scanner, which
> will cost the price of a decent car. At this point its cheaper to find a
> house that will scan it for you... around here a scan is in the 10-25
> dollar range.

Actually, I have a Microtek Scanmaker 5 that can handle up to 8x10. The
street
price of a new one is down to a little over $1000 these days. It does an
excellent job. It handles 5x7 just fine. At anything over 4x5, the film
lies on a sheet of glass that is inserted into the light path of the
scanner.
There is no need for a drum scanner for 5x7 or 8x10 that I can see. I
shoot
both 4x5 and 5x7, and I'm delighted with the capabilities of the
Scanmaker 5.

The color enlarger was the hard barrier for 5x7. I got lucky and got a
used one, but it was still $$$$$ expensive, though cheap for what it is.
I ended up with a Durst 10x10 enlarger.

Verna