[LargeFormat] rest

Clive Warren largeformat@f32.net
Thu Feb 1 10:07:22 2001

At 19:18 31/01/01 -0800, Les Newcomer wrote:
>Wow I didn't know that about the CD. guess it's better to stick with the
>calumet tester.
>
>BTW, Andy Davidhazy, Proffessor at RIT built a shutter tester on the
>same idea as the calumet tester.(photocell driving a counter that
>divides a second into 1 million parts)
>
>  I would be surpised if he didn't get the schematic from a published
>source or published it himself, so if you are REALLY into do it your
>self, it's an option, altho I doubt you will save much over the calumet
>version.
big snip

Here in the UK there are a few sources of electronic kit, most of which is
probably available worldwide.  When looking around at what was available a
couple of years ago I tried to find a latching counter clock chip that
would run fast enough to measure up to 1/1000 sec. but there were no cheap
varieties available.  The chip would have been the main "engine" of the
shutter tester device. The Calumet tester worked out by far the most cost
effective and compact option even if you value your time at zero.....

Things might have changed though so perhaps it's worth looking around to
see if you can find a cheap clock chip.

All the best,
                 Clive   http://www.f32.net
                         Large Format Travel and Stock Photography