[LargeFormat] rest

Joshua Wein largeformat@f32.net
Wed Jan 31 21:38:15 2001

Turntables function at a "constant angular velocity"
i.e they spin at the same speed all the time.
Therefore the sound quality of a song early on the
record is actually better than later, since a greater
distance is travelled in the same time and therfore
more vinyl passes under the needle in any given time
interval. And as we all know it is a spiral.

CD's function at a "constant linear velocity" and
reading begins in the middle. As the laser reads
outwards the disc slows down so the same amount of
plastic passes by it in any given time interval. And
CD's are not spiral, they are concentric circles.

Hope this helps.

-Joshua Wein