[LargeFormat] Re: LargeFormat lenses

TigerShark largeformat@f32.net
Sat Jan 13 18:26:00 2001

Are you surprised about that?  Modern lenses are designed and manufactured
with current high tech methods.  Super multicoating as we have today was not
avaiblable in early 60s.  Linhof used to handpick the Schneider line for the
best of the crop.  My Schneider Apo Symmars of the 90s are way contrastier
than anythng I used before.  Check those older lenses also for internal
fogging of elements ... if it doesnt look clear it isn't.

TigerShark

-----Original Message-----
From: largeformat-admin@f32.net [mailto:largeformat-admin@f32.net]On
Behalf Of philip Lambert
Sent: Saturday, January 13, 2001 12:51 PM
To: largeformat@f32.net
Subject: [LargeFormat] Re: LargeFormat lenses

I am just testing some  LF lenses (65mm to 203mm) on my 6x9 Linhof using
colour negative Fuji film. Two shots of a pale yellow and deep red orchid
flower & leaves against a plain red curtain using daylight at F22 show
distinct differences on which I should welcome advice .  The 100mm Linhof
Symmar (number 8million odd and I guess about forty years old) produced a
print that was lower in contrast and less saturated than the same shot taken
two minutes later with a Xenar 150mm f5.6 1999 lens. Exposure looks fine.
(Maybe the sunlight altered? )
 Does this mean the 100mm Symmar is inherently poorer than the modern Xenar?