[LargeFormat] Gundlach 4x5 Korona Anast. f6.3 Series 6x

Clive Warren largeformat@f32.net
Sat Jan 6 07:40:00 2001

Have been finding some rather interesting lenses recently. This one
is a Gundlach 4x5 Korona Anast. f6.3 Series 6x made in Fairport NY
rather than the earlier Manhattan versions. This one is interesting
as it is in a Wollensak Rapax shutter with no synch and is a
convertible 6 1/4", 8", and 12".

It is a really compact little lens and is a later version of one
which came with a Korona 4x5 field camera which I also picked up
recently.

The earlier Manhattan glass (under the Turner-Reich name) did not
have a good reputation for accuracy of centering when the lens
elements were ground, but when the factory moved, quality control
improved.

The lens appears to have a slight coating and the elements are
unscratched and with no separation problems which the earlier lenses
suffered from after 40 or so years. Maybe the glue used on the
elements was changed from the earlier Canadian balsam or perhaps the
lens is so much younger that any separation problems are many years
away....

Anyway, has anyone used one of these later Gundlach 4x5 lenses
mounted in a Rapax shutter? It seems ideal for a field outfit.

Will post some images of the lens on the f32 Discussion Forum when I
next borrow a digital camera.
--
All the best,

             Clive Warren   http://www.f32.net
                            Large Format travel and stock photography