[LargeFormat] Snowy Landscapes

Les Newcomer largeformat@f32.net
Mon Jan 1 19:09:14 2001

Let me get this right.
LEt's say I find a nice meadow with dark green grass in July-- Bright
sun, blue skies, cotton ball clouds. You're satified with the sunny rule
of f16 here--With this exposure there's enough light to render detail in
the green grass, though maybe not in the deep shadows. And I must say my
Minolta Auto Meter IIIf has proved this many times in incident mode.

Now I go and fill this meadow with white fill cards either foamcore or
snow. The reflected light has increased at least one stop--we've gone
from medium/ dark green to white, so if I use the same exposure settings
I did in July I will gain at least one stop and if the amount of light
falling on the grass in July rendered it properly, then the same
exposure with the same sun falling on the snow will render the snow
bright white, since I haven't compensated for it's reflectivity.

and now you want me to increase the the exposure even more! Sorry I'm
not buying it.

However If I were to meter that with a HANDHELD REFLECTIVE METER I would
most certainly OPEN UP TWO STOPS OR EVEN MORE since the meter wants to
turn the white snow into a grey card.

at the very least, I pity the guy that has to print your snowscapes.

Les