[LargeFormat] Re: flash exposure

TigerShark largeformat@f32.net
Sat Dec 30 17:28:02 2000

JP,

Although I understand exactly what you are saying, I lost you already in the
creative process.  I'm great with numbers (Math-wiz) but I don't want to
think about all those when i'm working on something creative.  Those numbers
can change in a heartbeat, when modifying that light.  Please read on:

Philip,

If you are serious about using flash equipment, 2 things:

1.  Get a decent flash meter
2.  Get decent flash equipment (strobes)

You could get some mileage out of portable small camera flashes, but I found
my Metz-45 (true GN of 145/ft) totally inadequate for any soft lighting etc.
It is the "quality" of the light that creates the look as much as the
product itself, so one should be able to soften or broaden the lightsource.
Simple small strobes, provide a great way to get the feel of flash
photography, but without model lights, you can never see what goes on, until
.. well after the picture is processed/printed.

I have opted years ago to buy into the DynaLight line and have not regretted
that one bit.  Anything less than 250-500 WS of power is a toy.  Anything
that cannot easily be adjusted in power or modified with softboxes is
useless.

Philip, have you tried to use available light? Im thinking about placing the
setup against or near a window to get lots of backlight and using large
white or silver reflectors to bounce light back in to it, serving as a fill,
to lighten up the shadows?

TigerShark