[LargeFormat] 8X10 Cold Light head; Durst carriers

Clive Warren largeformat@f32.net
Sat Dec 30 13:06:15 2000

At 9:38 am -0800 29/12/00, Don Wilkes wrote:
snippety
>And, speaking of large Dursts...
>
>I just recently got my new-to-me 138S up and running, and was very
>surprised at the HUGE amount of light pouring out the sides of the neg
>carrier. My room is a bit cramped, so the enlarger is very near a wall
>(which I'm now considering painting flat black!).  The light spillage had a
>severe impact on contrast, as you might expect.  I've carved a trio of
>light baffles out of scrap floor tiles, which I can press-fit around the
>carrier, and will  be testing tonight.  I think this *should* alleviate
>much of the problem, but I've been wondering if other 138 owners have
>better ideas.  Clive?
>
>Cheers,
>\don

Hello Don,

Just back after a few days away - again!

Great to hear that you are finally using the Durst :-) Where is all
that light coming from?

There are zero light spills from my two 138Ss - there is a fairly
sophisticated sprung seal (part of the Nega carrier) which has a felt
mating face to the head surfaces. You shouldn't need any baffling,
however you do have a later head than mine - CLS wasn't it?
--
All the best,

             Clive Warren   http://www.f32.net
                            Large Format travel and stock photography