[LargeFormat] more on batteries

Clive Warren largeformat@f32.net
Wed Dec 13 10:12:01 2000

At 9:58 am -0800 12/12/00, Don Wilkes wrote:
>I've found an article that outlines some of the problems and solutions with
>replacements for mercury batteries.  See especially the second page:
>
>http://www.acecam.com/magazine/battery1.html
>
>I think I may prefer the adapter/Silver76 solution...
>
>\donw

Hello Don,

Think I must have missed the previous postings - just back from a few
days away.

The URL above did not work for me.

A quick recommendation - I bought a silver oxide battery to mercury
converter a while ago. This uses a Shotky diode to bring the 1.5
silver oxide voltage down to approximately 1.3 volts (cannot remember
the exact voltage offhand).  Although the voltage is not exactly
1.35v, the converter was accurate enough to resurrect some old 35mm
kit lying around here.  The converter is the same size as, and
replaces PN625, PX625, HD625, RM625, 4625, H-D and MR9 1.35 Volt
batteries.

Essentially if the metering circuit uses a bridge design then any
replacement battery type of around the same voltage will do the
trick.  Things get a little more tricky with other electronic circuit
designs. This can be a real problem with some light meters and
cameras.

--
All the best,

             Clive Warren   http://www.f32.net
                            Large Format travel and stock photography