[LargeFormat] Turner Reich 4x5 Series II Anastigmat

Clive Warren largeformat@f32.net
Mon Dec 4 19:07:00 2000

At 5:53 pm -0600 4/12/00, Pam Niedermayer wrote:

>Clive Warren wrote:
>>
>>  Have recently purchased a field outfit which has a Turner Reich 4x5
>>  Series II Anastigmat convertible lens. Have stripped down the shutter
>>  and given it a CLA - the glass is perfect.
>>
>>  Has anyone used one of these lenses?  They seem to have a variable
>  > reputation with some people liking them and others slating them as
>  > Protar copies which allegedly had centering problems in construction.
  snip

>Why not take a couple of Polaroids before you go? Could even compare
>the various systems.
>
>Pam

That's a good idea,  but have only B&W Polaroids in the fridge. My
guess is that the lens will do a reasonable if slightly low contrast
job with B&W but may be downright nasty with colour. Using an orange
or green filter would probably be necessary to use single front or
rear lens groups to avoid chromatic aberations.

Must admit to being tempted to mount a 135mm Wide Field Ektar
instead.... it's just that the little Turner Reich looks and feels
right for the camera. The main advantage is its low weight and small
size.

--
All the best,

             Clive Warren   http://www.f32.net
                            Large Format travel and stock photography