[Jacob-list] FAMACHA

Linda patchworkfibers at alltel.net
Sat Aug 26 16:47:00 EDT 2006

I just got home from a FAMACHA workshop at UGA.  I have never believed in or practiced whole flock worming or worming on a schedule.  I think anyone that attends a FAMACHA workshop would stop whole flock worming and go to a worm as needed schedule. The workshop was absolutely great.  FAMACHA is way more than just sticking a color card up to a sheep's eyelid.  The workshop dealt with other ways to reduce the use of chemical dewormers.  It seems that there are more and more flocks that are resistant to all three classes of dewormers - and, according to Dr. Kaplan, it's not economically profitable for drug companies to work on developing another class since drug resistant is primarily a problem of goats and sheep.  These are all the dewormers we are going to get for a good long time.

I really recommend the workshop to anyone that has the opportunity to attend one.

Linda
PS - after checking eyelids on 24 Dorpers, I am happy to come home to my little bitty sheep with such nice hand holds!

www.patchworkfibers.com