[Jacob-list] Fence questions

Tom and Judy Riddolls grey_wethers_farm at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 9 12:27:25 EDT 2006

whenever you move animals tha fencing becomes difficult if it is different.
We had goats from very secure pasture put into three rail cedar they could
have jumped over or walked through no problem but they just assumed that
fences were impassable.  the lambs born here never go through our tighter 5
cedar pole fence though they could with ease as mother never goes out, the
page wire so far has kept the coyotes out.  We had problems with goats moved
from electric to page when they noticed animals on the other side- something
that never happened before they came here.  Also if given enough room i find
they never challenge a fence, we have 9 sheep in 2-3 acres with lots of
variation in the landscape (rock outcroppings and trees) that they never
seem to tire of it.  They do seem to get bored of "exercise yards" when
being fed hay and have limited space.

we don't have enough soil here to get a good ground for the electric fencer,
if we use it we set it up in the spring, soak the 18" of soil around the
ground rod and really zap the animals by pushing their noses into the wire,
then they tend to stay away from it even after the soil goes bone dry and
the fencer stops working.

also i have found that after an animal is here for a year it is hard to get
them out of the pasture, they hate to leave and i have left the gate open
before and had goats run out only to panic at the strange new environment
and dart back into the barn without me doing anything. they certainly know
where home is.