[Jacob-list] Experts on horned rams

ARTHUR PARTRIDGE aztreaz at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 8 13:33:22 EDT 2006

>I have a four horned ram with superb horns. I have noticed him really
trashing his horns on objects, as if he wants rid of them. He >has stayed
isolated in the barn the past few days. Could his horns bring about
pressure that is painful? His behavior is odd.
>Any advice welcome.
>
>Cheryl
===========
I don't think it is odd behavior to them, it means something.  Rams with
either horn set (2 or 4 or more) do this.  I'm not an expert; but my guess
is they are trying....or think they are......sharpening their horns on
various objects.  Sometimes it also looks like they are also trying to
"test" objects.  My rams scrape against chains to gates, gates, anything
that is new; such as a recently placed bungie cord used to repair a fence
quickly.  Maybe it is like a blind person using hands to find out about
objects.  Actually, I'm not certain why they do this!
Cathy
Moscow, Idaho