[Jacob-list] "pure" Jacobs

Linda patchworkfibers at alltel.net
Tue Aug 1 20:47:46 EDT 2006

It's not a secret that early on JSBA allowed registration of polled ewes and just recently disallowed totally scurred ewes.  It was important at the beginning of the work to preserve this rare breed that we gather as many sheep as possible into the database.  We are going to find scurs popping up every so often.  It's our responsibility as breeders to monitor our flocks, keep records of progeny and culling as necessary.  JSC does require progeny testing for unregistered animals, but since it only requires the progeny of two breedings and no progeny testing is required from the get of two registered parents, you are still going to get the lambs that neither JSBA or JSC are willing to consider "pure".

Yep, we all have our idea of what is right.  I think a four horned ewe should have four horns (not 2 horns and 2 scurs).  Anything else (for me - and I am no geneticist) makes me think abit.

As far as seasonal breeding - it would interesting to communicate with breeders of other seasonal breeds to see if the seasons vary depending on where you are.

Linda

www.patchworkfibers.com