[Jacob-list] update fly strike ick, ick, ick

Penelope pcj at efn.org
Thu Jul 17 10:30:07 EDT 2003

Hi All,
         thank you for the replies.  I felt much better knowing that other
folks (some of you anyway) thought the melaluca was reasonable.  We did get
the vets stamp of approval on it during the day yesterday.  But I was still
pretty concerned until we checked our guy at evening feeding.  He is
Brookfield Cardeau btw, good tempered and steady, although not a pet or
used to being handled.
         John caught him at feeding again (I imagine the sheep saying
"damn, I feel for the feed again!") and we looked at him.  His forehead and
horns looked much better, some starting to scab over a bit, and not wet and
icky as it was the day before.  John brought home some disposable pipettes
from work (very useful things those!  like a lightweight plastic
eyedropper, but not something meant to be used over, or that I had any
problem throwing away) so I could drip melaluca specifically where I wanted
it rather than pouring it on and hoping.  The vet suggested we might only
want to use it every other day, but because we had seen the most maggots in
the crevices around Cardeau's horns, I wanted to make sure we'd gotten
enough in there.  With the pipette I put it in close around the horns.  No
sign of bigs, but Cardeau did say it was uncomfortable on the worse side,
which makes me wonder if there were some missed bugs that were vacating
thanks to the melaluca.  All in all there was quite a bit of drying, some
signs of healing, and no bad smell, other than the lingering melaluca smell.

         I had wondered about what was commercially available, and thought
there might be something that was a colored wound dressing that sprayed on
- must have been the screw worm spray I was thinking of.  But the first
night we didn't have it and used what was on hand, which I'm very pleased
to say, worked well.  We have a ton of melaluca oil around because I was on
their "buy every month" program for a while, and what I though was most
useful was the concentrated oil.  I didn't dilute it in anything.  I've put
it on open cuts and abrasions on myself with no problem or pain.  I used to
work with a midwife who used it to help heal small perineal tears or
scrapes after someone gave birth.  :-)  So I wasn't worried about making
Cardeau any more uncomfortable than the fly strike was already making him.

         I'm glad to hear that other people have run in to fly strike in
places other than the tail.  Fly strike seems to be what is held up again
and again as the reason for docking the tail.  I like to leave the sheep as
they are as much as possible.  I feel a little bad castrating rams, but I
also feel responsible for keeping the breeding under some controls since
I'm keeping the sheep, so I manage that.  But I couldn't think of anything
similar as a reason for shortening the tail.  And since a hock length tail
is one of the markers of a Jacob, I like seeing who has a long tail, whose
is shorter, and watching the tails move -- those sheep have nearly as much
control as dogs do at times!

         I think I might try diluting the melaluca to use as a bug
repellant.  I hadn't thought of that before, but it makes sense.
         Thank you all for the input so far.  We'll be checking Cardeau
again tonight, well, and every night for a while, but will probably shift
to applying more oil every other day.  I'll see if I can take a photo of
his face tonight, in case anyone is interested.  Before and after photos
would have been good I suppose, but there's too much ick factor, and I
didn't think of it ahead of time.  Shall I post further updates as we go?