[Jacob-list] fly strike ick, ick, ick

Penelope pcj at efn.org
Tue Jul 15 23:17:05 EDT 2003

We've got our first case of fly strike.  Ick!  Did I mention
Ick?  Ick.  Ick. Ick.

We leave tails long on our Jacobs.  This isn't in, around or associated
with a tail.  This is all around the front base of our Senior ram's
horns.  He's always liked to rub and scrape his head against things, and
has often had an open scrape on his forhead.  Today, it looked
different.  On inspection, it was, ahem, buggy.

So we got out the disinfectant soap, and a couple old tooth brushes.  And
some superstrong Melaluca oil, and cleaned him up.  He didn't object as
much as he could have.  The soap mostly just cleaned the area.  I could see
a couple crawling critters, but nothing much.  Then I started dripping the
melaluca oil on.  We have it because it is useful on people for cuts and
things.  It drys, and disenfects and speeds up healing.  It will also
disolve stitches, some bandaids, and has a powerful smell.  The bugs didn't
like it.  We dripped it on and wiped it around, and covered all open areas
and borders with it.  And removed all departing bugs ASAP.

Tomorrow we'll check in with the vet, and probably disinfect and clean etc
again.  If we can catch him.  We bribed him with goat chow
tonight.  Tomorrow, we'll see.

So does anyone have suggestions, tips, or comments on dealing with fly strike?

In closing, let me say, ICK!

Spouse has no ick factor, it doesn't bother him at all to deal with
it.  But it's a two person job.

   --
Penelope pcj at efn.org : keeping busy in Oregon
chasing a small person, reading email and usenet, typing, knitting,

www.dreamsandbones.net/blog