[Jacob-list] Re: Castration - Development Inhibited?

Kelley Rambo Kelley_Rambo at antiochne.edu
Sun Jul 13 15:46:43 EDT 2003

I keep a lot of wethers actually.  I like them.  I don't eat meat, so I
don't have any reason to butcher them.  And I raise my flock for fleece
and theirs is just as fine as any of the ewes.  They can be some of my
more cuddly sheep, actually.  So, to answer your question about fleece, no
difference except usual individual differences.  As for castration, my
girls usually start lambing in January and go thru May (their choice).  We
usually try to get the castrations done before the flies come out which in
Maine is about mid-May.  I have been told that castration can happen
rather early (some even do it within the first week), but my vet (who uses
homeopathy and who I like) suggests waiting until they're about a month
old or so which I agree with.   Birth is shock enough, I think.  Anyhoo,
so we have a castration party sometime in late April or so.

As for horn growth, castration stunts the horns which may be something you
want if you want to keep a fellow but his horns won't be growing right or
not the way you want.  Sunshine's brother who I had cut had really pointy
horns, not something I wanted to see much bigger.  The horns may grow a
little more after they're cut, but not much.  So, the later you cut, the
bigger the horns they'll have.  It is easier to cut them when they're
little than when they get too big to handle easily.  The 2 or 3 mos olds,
I can pick up and put in my lap.  A 2 or 3 year old may have to be sedated
somewhat which always poses some risk -- especially depending on the
experience level of your vet with sedating sheep, not many have experience
with that.  So keep that in mind if you're into big horns.

Anything else, let me know.
Take care,
Kelley