[Jacob-list] The Bachelor Party - Solo, Duo or Trio?

Neal and Louise Grose nlgrose at yadtel.net
Fri Jul 11 15:21:03 EDT 2003

(Thank goodness! I thought jacoblisterees had either melted or washed away!)

My inclination is that it doesn't make a whole lot of difference. Jacob rams
are so independent and full of themselves that they could care less who
else is around, as long as there is SOMEBODY. They fully believe that they
are THE dominant animal on the farm unless proven otherwise. I recall a ram
bluffing down a 1600 pound Holstein, and then strutting off with his head
high at a slow noble pace...

As far as rams fighting, the initial bluff-downs are the most important. Yes
the large two horn dudes have an advantage, but only if it comes to blows.
Sheep are genetically set to show submission to the guy with the biggest
rack. I have seen a large 2-horner show submission to a 4-hornee 1/2 his
size until the little 4-horned guy pushed things a little too far (and then
got his rump wupped, deservedly.)

I recommend putting adult rams in together in as tight of an area as
possible (and I mean 4 foot X4 foot  for two rams) for 48 hours or so
without food to give them a chance to calm down. After that, let them out
with access to food and water in an area small enough so that they can not
back up and give each other a really good wack until you can tell if the
situation is stable. (Betty, your right, this might work for certain
Presidents.)

Rams raised together from early on GENERALLY don't scuffle much. They get
things squared away early on and then bluff each other into their place on
the pecking order unless a new ram is introduced. I recently had to place a
relatively large longwool ram into the group of Jacob rams. He thought that
it would be a good idea to show the little black and white guys up...and
very quickly learned better. Rams will form a bachelor group and stay by
themselves for the most part. The girls won't tolerate their contrivances
until season rolls around...which by the way starts as soon as the daylight
hours become noticeably shorter. Leave the ram in there and you may be
surprised at how well they do in "hot" weather. Trust me, 90 degree days got
nothing on our 90 degree NIGHTS.

Neal Grose
Harmony, North Carolina