[Jacob-list] re: lending out our ram

linda wolfpen at rabun.net
Wed Nov 29 12:38:33 EST 2000

Besides the health considerations, you might want to think how you'll feel when someone points
to one of the crossbred lambs and says "oh, that's from Sharon's registered Jacob stock."
Many, many of the Georgia so-called Jacobs have Barbados fairly close up in their backgrounds
and have been passed off to uneducated buyers as full blooded Jacobs. People see the crossbred
lamb, maybe with spots and horns, and recognize it as a Barb cross and wonder what's hiding in
YOUR lines.

I loved the cat story.  In an old Spin-Off, someone wrote that anyone that spins and owns cats
ends up spinning cat fur accidently as a result of cats doing their own style of fiber
blending while rolling in the fiber basket.

Linda

On Tue, 28 Nov 2000 23:47:23 EST,  wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I need some advice from someone more experienced in sheep raising etiquette
>than I am.  Someone near me who runs a petting zoo of sorts has 5 Barbados
>ewes, and he wants to borrow, for a fee, our Jacob ram to breed them.  I
>don't really want to do it as I don't want to expose the ram to the diseases
>or parasites that the other sheep could possibly have.  I also don't want his
>sheep here for the same reason, and also since we have no grass after this
>year's drought. Am I being overly cautious?   He kept referring to my Jacobs
>as "Jacobson sheep" even though I several times referred to them as Jacobs.
>It sort of bugged me.  I know I don't have to do anything I don't want to,
>but would it be unreasonable or rude to refuse?
>
>On an amusing note, to follow up the thread on animal tales and fiber
>stuff...Last night we had a power outage for about 4 hours as a result of a
>squirrel playing on the power lines.  We live in a 150 year old farm house
>with fireplaces, so we had a fire going to keep warm and I decided to spin
>Patchwork Dixie's wool by the light of an oil lamp and candles.  Very cozy.
>Just like the olden days, I thought.   It wasn't very bright, but I could see
>enough to spin. I haven't been a spinner for very long, so I am not very
>fast, but I seemed to be zooming through the predrafted rolags I was using.
>I was patting myself on the back for improving so much.  When the lights came
>on I found big hunks of several of the rolags on the floor that the kitten
>had secretly torn off as they hung over the side of my leg as I was spinning.
> She even had one wrapped around her as evidence.  So much for my explosive
>growth in spinning expertise.
>
>Sharon

www.PatchworkFibers.com
Registered Jacob Sheep