[Jacob-list] lamb munchies...

linda wolfpen at rabun.net
Wed Nov 22 16:07:13 EST 2000

That's interesting, Fred.  We started out with meat sheep.  We were like your butcher when we
first butchered a Jacob lamb.  It was a smaller animal, but had just as much meat. A
suffolk/hamphire lamb would weigh quite abit more and then we would cut a thick layer of fat.
When we sell freezer lambs, we sell by the carcass weight, which does include the the fat "on
the lamb."  It's a big selling point that a higher percentage of the carcass weight is good
quality meat, not fat, in our lambs.

On Wed, 22 Nov 2000 15:18:31 EST,  wrote:
>Fred Horak here.  We have had breakfast patties made from lamb.  We had them
>made up in two pound "tubes" the first time.  We have changed to one pound
>tubes so it moves faster from freezer to refrigerator to pan.
>
>We had three lambs analyzed for USDA and FDA comparison.  The analysis was
>done by Siliker Labs, an authorized/approved, national food testing lab.  The
>Jacob lamb had less fat content than the normal found in "lamb" but the
>difference was determined to be not statistically different.  This is the fat
>content "in the lamb" not on the lamb.  Our butcher is fascinated by our
>Jacobs; lean, yet have almost as much finished meat as the larger "fat"
>lambs.   Fred

www.PatchworkFibers.com
Registered Jacob Sheep