[Jacob-list] lamb munchies...

dave & katrina oberlef at desupernet.net
Wed Nov 22 12:46:11 EST 2000

Hi listers-
I am enjoying hearing what products people are making from their flocks. Thanks for bringing it up, Mary. We have been so pleased with our Jacobs just for the humor they bring and the work they are doing getting the pastures in shape that now the products seem like icing on the cake.

For the last few years, we have been involved with a group of artistians in Lancaster, PA in coming together once or twice a year for something we call Art on the Farm. We gather in an old stone barn owned by close friends of ours and everyone displays their art/handywork from the past year. In the past, I have sold herbal products, but am considering having a Jacob stand next year.  Since AOTF takes place in Nov. warm wool products, ect, seems like a great addition to the atmosphere.  I have been having fun thinking up as many different things as possible that can be made from our flock.

We are only beginning to explore all the possiblities on the wool side of things (winter should be helpful), but have recently butchered lamb and have been very pleased with the result. The skins are in the barn drying out and we have saved the horns in hopes of experimenting with buttons.  Has anyone tried making them?  They seem a bit big and flat in places but have very interesting rings of color on the inside.  Black, of course, as the outer ring.  Could be interesting.

We have been pleasantly surprised by the taste of the grass-feed lamb.  Delicious even as hamburger! It didn't seem to have the high ratio of fat we have seen in other lamb. Our butcher told stories of 4 inches of fat on lambs that were brought in to his shop.  After 9 hours of labor on the butcher's part, the owner complained about how little meat he got from his lambs.

Has anyone ever made bologna or jerky from lamb?  Our butcher said he would be happy to experiment with either.  He said the problem he runs into with bologna is that the end product is too dry, so he is adding a percentage beef.

And of course the dog is happy... the butcher sent a bag of bones along with the meat.  He also showed us beef bones he smokes for dogs...they looked almost good enough for people food.  Might ask him to try some lamb bones next time.
By the way Linda B., thanks for all the info you have offered in past posts on cooking lamb.  I went back to the archives and found it very helpful.  Looks like we may be eating a bit more red meat from now on. :)

Happy Holidays everyone.
Katrina Lefever, Chicory Lane.
http://wwwfac.wmdc.edu/HTMLpages/Graduate/TI/pages/lefever/chicory.htm