[Jacob-list] range of Jacobs in North America

linda wolfpen at rabun.net
Tue Nov 21 17:59:25 EST 2000

Could you fill us in on some of the specifics of the Hescock flock.  Also - if anyone
remembers the article that I'd retyped and sent out (the article that Todd Hescock wrote about
the importation) and still has it, could I get a copy?.  I lost it when my hard drive crashed.
I'm trying to remember exactly what the flock started with.  Was it just one or two rams that
originally came into North America?  Did the Hescock flock ever add any other sheep besides
the original imports?  I find it really interesting that there could still be so much
diversity in a closed flock.

Linda

On Mon, 20 Nov 2000 06:11:12 EST, Mary Hansson  wrote:
>Robin,
>
>>From what I have seen of the Jacob sheep here in the US, they are PRIMARILY
>blends of the so-called primitive/improved versions.  There is not a wide
>difference as some have talked about between the size or overall appearance
>of these animals.  I got a chance to see Maizie Hescock's flock this past
>summer as that is THE flock that has not had any influence from this
>country's sheep since being imported in the 70's from England.  It is also
>the "classic improved" flock if you are talking about the latter
>imports-----the overall size of sheep was similar to others.  There were
>fine-boned sheep and heavier boned ones in the group.  There was simply a
>wide variation in the flock----just as we often see in our own flocks that
>stand in our backyards.
>
>The Mexican connection is an interesting one---don't know a thing about
>Jacobs across the border.
>
>Mary Ellen
>>From: Robvcas at aol.com
>18 Nov 2000 21:43:57 EST
>>
>>Does anyone know if there are Jacobs in Mexico ?  I've been thinking of the
>>differences between what we call "the American Jacob",  (which is really
>>the
>>North American Jacob to include Canada), and the English (European) Jacobs.
>>The original Canadian and American imports have spread widely across the
>>continent judging by this list and the breed registries, and I wonder just
>>how far they've gone.  Its interesting to me that there is still such a
>>difference in Jacob style between here and "across the pond"  I know
>>efforts
>>are being made by some  breeders to maintain early import strains, but I
>>wonder if there will eventually be a blended style with less variation from
>>animal to animal as we buy and sell sheep across the continent.  As
>>purebred
>>Jacobs become more easily available, it seems there would  also be less
>>outcrossing to other breeds, resulting in a more common style.   Just some
>>idle musings to bring some noise to this quiet list !  Robin Casasanto

www.PatchworkFibers.com
Registered Jacob Sheep