[IETF-IDRM] Re: IDRM research group closed

lists29051972@gmx.de lists29051972@gmx.de
Mon, 10 Feb 2003 10:53:23 +0100 (MET)

Dear All,

> For myself personally for example, there is quite a bit of interest but no
> corporate sponsorship. As an earlier correspondent pointed out, commercial
> demand is, whether we like it or not, a significant factor for such
efforts.

my personal impression is that there is a huge commercial demand, but no
commercial sponsorship.

In the Musicnetwork project we are also addressing protection issues. And
publishers are very interested in DRM technologies. But they need more
informations about DRM - but not only on technical but also on legal issues. And the
same is true for customers. E.g. most of them are afraid of DRM solutions
because of technical obstacles like audio files which can be played only on a
specific hardware device.

And maybe developers of DRM technology do not foresee the importance of a
common standard due to users' demands: No user wants to buy a digital item
which is sooner or later worthless because it will be in an "encrypted bottle".

Maybe this is just due to that fact that DRM technology is quite a new
field. But enlightment and the availability of information would improve the
acceptance and therefore the development of DRM technologies by content owners,
providers and customers. So far it seems that DRM development is only
technologists driven.

Maybe this picture is coloured too dark. But I am looking forward for your
comments.

Best wishes,

Martin Schmucker

@Gord: I will add you link to the forum of musicnetwork