[IETF-IDRM] RE: [IDRM] Disband or recharter IDRM?

Mark Baugher mbaugher@cisco.com
Mon, 16 Dec 2002 21:37:37 -0800

hi Gordon,

At 12:59 PM 12/16/2002 -0500, Gord Larose wrote:
>Mark:
>  I'm not sure why you see cryptography as the bad guy here.

I don't mean to call it "the bad guy."  But I think that it is not always
needed for internet entertainment applications.  Besides that, practically
every DRM service that may need cryptography is under development or
planned by some industry group.

>Cryptography is just a tool in the tool-kit. And it's a good tool, if you
>use it properly.  You don't need to drag in PKI, personal certs,
>smart-cards, and all that sort of baggage, for it to play a useful role. For
>example, one system I designed uses elGamal encryption to prevent server
>spoofing.  This is completely invisible to the user (i.e. adds no complexity
>that matters externally) and since elGamal is in the public domain, could be
>implemented locally with no IP headaches, no thrid-party authorities etc.

I think RSA encryption is also in the public domain and more widely
used.  ElGamal encryption supports a subliminal channel but doubles the
size of the plaintext.  Right?

>I do agree that, at least in open systems, cryptography is not sufficient as
>"the" security solution. (If anyone needs more convincing on that point, I
>have a Web page on the subject at
>  http://www.info-mech.com/drm_cryptography.html . )

I agree with practically everything you write on this page (I wished you
had used a less divisive example than WWII - (why not use the communists
since hardly anyone cares about them anymore?).

>Stepping back from the technology for a moment, what do you see as the
>desirable VALUES of  the system under discussion ?

What do you mean by "VALUES" here?

>I think end-user simplicity is the one you're getting at. Maybe we can
>brainstorm some of the others to see if we agree on our hypothetical
>"definition of success."

If a party does not have a vested interest in protecting a secret in a
device it controls, then I don't think cryptography is appropriate.  So one
value, if I'm using the word properly, is that we need a DRM where each
party has a vested interest to use content works in an authorized way.

Mark