[IETF-IDRM] Re: [IDRM] Disband or recharter IDRM?

Gord Larose glarose@info-mech.com
Wed, 11 Dec 2002 09:23:00 -0500

Hello:
  Most of you on the list will not know me, as I came in during your period
of dormancy. I too have been mulling these issues, as the DRM company  that
I helped found (NetActive) struggled like most others in the space.

I think there are two classes of issues here - the social-advocacy ones
and the technical ones.

The social-advocacy issues are horribly subjective. The concerns were
well expressed in Mark's email, and we could spend thousands of words
debating them.  For what it
is worth, I believe that DRM is not philosophically wrong, and further, that
it is commercially necessary. However, I do not believe that the current
"axis of greed" between Hollywood and Washington serves the best interests
of American citizens and, as a Canadian, I am very concerned about the
United States' efforts to impose its draconian views of copyright
enforcement on the rest of the world.
 Good DRM does not have to put Big Brother on your hard drive. If it does,
then the price is too high.

On a philosophical level then, I say there is a need for smart people to
build workable DRM that citizens can live with.

The point issue of this technical group's mandate is much clearer IMO. The
core
technology challenges for DRM are terminal node challenges, not network
challenges. Sure, a network is usually involved, but DRM is nothing special
for the network. DRM's basic network needs are nothing harder than
http/https over tcp/ip. And the terminal mode challenges are largely about
things like tamper-resistance, which are proprietary and not very amenable
standardization. It's not something where an IETF group adds much value.

So where does that leave the group ? Seems to me the options include:
1) disband
2) generalize the focus to a multidisciplinary one, along the lines of
http://www.bcdforum.org . (Though I have to confess I find that organization
lacking substance.)
3) Find specific technical problems that are obstacles to good (i.e.
effective but not Orwellian) DRM, which are going begging, and in scope,
and work on solutions.

I don't have a top-of-mind suggestion for #3, but it sounds like the most
fun!

Other thoughts ???

Best Regards,
   Gord Larose