[IETF-IDRM] Re: [IDRM] DRM Taxonomy work -- drm framework... -- handle system

Sam X. Sun (@S2000) ssun@cnri.reston.va.us
Wed, 23 May 2001 13:10:19 -0400

Hi Michael,

I agree with you that DRM doesn't have to stick with any specific technology
for its process. All we wanted here is to understand the process, and
identify technologies that can be applied to it...

In terms of Handle System and URN, I would say that they are quite different
now in terms of how they work and the issues that they want to address.
Handle system started about the same time PURL and URN started, trying to
address persistence issue of URL namespace. But later we found that
persistence is more of a social and/or management issue than a mere
technical one. While Handle System does provide a technical approach to
encourage more persistent namespace management, we have put more focus on
service security, distributed name administration, internationalization
(i18n), and service scalability. It might be helpful if you can read the
latest HS drafts to understand the difference... On the other hand, I see no
reason why Handle System cannot work with URN. One way to do it is to
register HS namespace as a namespace under URN, as we discussed earlier last
year. The issues that we need to address are how to make sure that the NAPTR
approach won't become a bottleneck, and how to achieve service security over
such approach. Maybe we should discuss these in a separate thread, or bring
them to the URN working group...

Regarding URI and HS, I'm not sure if they are comparable. I tend to think
that URI is a collection of name services, and Handle System is just a
specific one, under a specific protocol. While some members of URI can be as
secure as you want, others can be totally insecure. I wonder if it's
appropriate to say a URI in general is secure, or carries any semantic
meaning (a name, an address, an identifier, etc)? In fact, because DNS is
not secure as we know of today, that makes any name service based on DNS
questionable in their security. The Handle System is designed to be
independent of DNS, and to address the security and i18n issues that DNS is
struggling to overcome. It has the advantage that it's starting from
scratch, and doesn't have to deal with the backward compatibility issues
that DNS has to take care of... On the other hand, we are in the process of
defining handle system URI syntax for handles to be used in web context. In
that sense, Handle system defines a namespace under URI, and we are in
agreement there.

In fact, I'm more inclined to think that Handle System is in par with DNS.
In fact, if DNS can address security, i18n, access control on name
attributes, and to allow individuals to manage the names they registered, we
probably won't need the Handle System. On the other hand, people from DNS
working group has refused to apply DNS as a general name service other than
network-address translation, which makes us think that an independent name
service would be helpful...

Cheers,
Sam