[IETF-IDRM] Re: [IDRM] Will the DMCA make our work more difficult?

Thomas Hardjono thardjono@verisign.com
Thu, 16 Aug 2001 12:47:50 -0400

At 8/15/2001||08:35 PM, Nicko van Someren wrote:

>Indeed, my point was that we need to know how to deal with the DMCA,
>rather than saying that we need to debate the rights and wrongs of the
>act itself.  The act is here and IETF is not (usually) a political lobby
>group.  It directly effects two out of three IEFT meetings each year and,
>as Niels Ferguson describes, indirectly effects the papers that can be
>submitted to the third.  I think we need a policy as to how to work
>around this.
>
>         Nicko

There are many legal issues that the IETF (and other standards body) finds
easier to remain silent upon, than to address it :)

My concern is that many/most DRM systems are propietary that the vendor
will never publish all the technical details in a body like IETF (let
alone papers describing how to break them).  Thus, there is little use
in publishing how top break DRM system X if we don't even know how
the internal mechanics of system X works.

thomas
------