[IETF-IDRM] Re: [IDRM] Will the DMCA make our work more difficult?

Mark Baugher mbaugher@cisco.com
Wed, 15 Aug 2001 15:13:19 -0700

Hi Nicko
At 10:24 PM 8/15/2001 +0100, Nicko van Someren wrote:
>Mark Baugher wrote:
> > If we're going to investigate technical protection systems such as
> > HDCP, CPRM, or some vendor's implementation of an IPMP tool,
> > then this is a problem for us.  I never imagined IDRM will want to
> > do that.  Individual participants of the RG may want to do so, but
> > not under the auspices of IDRM.
>
>Mark,
>         Your own slides from London say that we must carry out this
>sort of investigation.  You say things like "understand the landscape"

Either you misunderstood what I said or I misunderstood what I said.

>and "evolve the internet infrastructure".  How on earth can we do
>these without exposing issues surrounding what's already there?  If,
>for instance, XrML or XMCL had accidentally chosen to sign the wrong
>parts of their message structures then the act of standing up and
>saying so at an IDRM meeting could, based on the action against Prof.
>Felton and USENIX, leave the IETF as liable at the person presenting.

I don't think so.  At any rate, I'd rather leave DMCA issues to the EFF
and organizations that are competent in this area.  The IETF is not.

> >                              I don't expect anyone to craft a
> > technical protection measure that gets embedded in some home
> > computing device that is invulnerable to compromise (e.g., lose one or
> > more secret keys).
>
>Nor do I, but is it not a goal to come up with a sound framework
>into which others can insert their systems?  If so, do we not need
>to understand the systems that might be fitted in?  If we find a
>fundamental flaw in those third party's systems must we not say so,
>so that those flaws are not perpetuated in whatever the IETF turn
>into an RFC?

I am saying that I don't expect that we will be specifying technology
that will encounter problems in the DMCA.  Perhaps I'm wrong.
Perhaps we'll revisit this topic when we have something real to
consider.  I'm open to that.

> > So I don't see the point of engaging in this
> > kind of work.
>
>In security it does not matter if the flaw lies in the framework or

I don't think we are talking about security.  Once you put secrets on
a device and put that device in the home of a determined attacker
trying to reveal those secrets, we are no longer talking about security.

>in the implementation, either way it weakens the system.  I understand
>that IDRM aims are oriented towards frameworks at this stage but you
>said we need to "Identify useful component technologies" and I don't
>see any reliable way of doing this without pointing out the useLESS
>ones.

I don't see any problem with pointing out useless technologies.  Nor
do I see any value of describing how to alter the verance watermark
or defeat CPRM in an RFC.

If you have something you wish to publish under the auspices of IDRM
that may have DMCA issues associated with it, then please let me
know.  I don't see the point of debating this in the abstract.  What else
can we do?

thanks, Mark