CAFI Newsletter #104

cafi-list@christianactionforisrael.org cafi-list@christianactionforisrael.org
Fri, 4 Oct 2002 18:04:50 -0400

Blank********************************************************
* CHRISTIAN ACTION FOR ISRAEL NEWSLETTER  #104 *
"ON YOUR WALLS, O JERUSALEM, I HAVE APPOINTED WATCHMEN"
Isaiah 62:6

               Friday, October 4, 2002

IN THIS ISSUE:

  1.    MUHAMMAD MAELSTROM
        Falwell: Intent Not To Attack Muhammad
  2.    PARIAHS
  3.    THE ART OF THE FAIT ACCOMPLI
  4.    HOW TO BOMB THY NEIGHBOR:
         HAMAS OFFERS ONLINE 'ACADEMY'
  5.    CANADIAN ISSUES
  6.    QUOTES TO NOTE
  7.    HIGHLIGHT ARTICLES

This Sunday evening, October 6, 2002, our readers
in North America can tune in to the popular CBS
news magazine program "60 Minutes" for a special
report on growing American Christian support for
Israel. Check your local listings for time.

WE NEED YOUR REGULAR FINANCIAL SUPPORT

If you find this newsletter, and our site, of
value to you, please let us know with a donation!

We depend ENTIRELY on viewer/reader donations.
PLEASE  HELP US get the truth out about Israel
and God's chosen people. All needed info at:

http://christianactionforisrael.org/donations.html

We also have books for sale, or as a gift with a donation

THE FALSE PROPHET
http://christianactionforisrael.org/prophet.html
THE MOUNTAINS OF ISRAEL
http://christianactionforisrael.org/mountains.html
ISLAM REVIEWED
http://christianactionforisrael.org/i_review.html

   1.    MUHAMMAD MAELSTROM
         Falwell: Intent Not To Attack Muhammad

Baptist Pastor Stirs U.S. Muslims, Calls Islam's
Prophet 'Terrorist'

October 4, 2002   By Art Moore  -   WorldNetDaily.com

In an interview with WorldNetDaily, Rev. Jerry Falwell
said his characterization of Islam's prophet Muhammad
as a terrorist in a segment on the next edition of
"60 Minutes" was not intended to antagonize Muslim
people.

"I think Muhammad was a terrorist. I read enough,
by both Muslims and non-Muslims, [to decide] that
he was a violent man, a man of war," Falwell tells
interviewer Bob Simon, according to a CBS promo of
the program to be aired this Sunday night.

"My intent was not to attack Muhammad," Falwell
told WND yesterday. "I have avoided that. But [Simon]
was pressing me on the issue of Muhammad's behavior,
his involvement in war, and I simply said what I do
believe, that Muhammad is not a good example
for most Muslim people."

One of the most outspoken and controversial Islamic
political action groups in the United States
immediately issued a statement on Falwell's
comments, which gained wide attention through
the Drudge Report yesterday.

"What concerns us the most is the complete failure
of mainstream religious and political leaders to
repudiate this kind of anti-Muslim hate speech,"
said Ibrahim Hooper, communications director for
the Council on American-Islamic Relations, or CAIR,
in Washington, D.C. "On the issue of bigotry,
silence equals consent."

Falwell told WND, in response to the inevitable
backlash from Muslim groups, that his comments
were not directed at the Muslim people.

"I do not believe for a moment that the vast
majority of Muslims are terrorists," said the
Baptist pastor, chancellor of Liberty University
in Virginia and a WorldNetDaily columnist. "I
think just the opposite. Muslims have radical
extremists just like every religious group does,
who do not represent them very well. I think
Osama bin Laden, Yasser Arafat and Saddam Hussein
are prime examples of those kinds of radicals."

Muslim people are good people, Falwell said.
"The Muslim people genuinely want peace for
their families, who want an end to all the
terrorism," he told WND.

'Ridiculed By Ignorant People'

CAIR's Hooper said that Muhammad, "like the
prophets Noah, Moses and Jesus, were all attacked
and ridiculed by ignorant people who sought to
silence their message about the oneness of God."

"These defamatory attacks did not work then, and
they will not work now," Hooper said.

Falwell noted that the questions "60 Minutes"
asked about Muhammad came in the context of a
lengthy interview conducted during the summer
on why most evangelical Christians support
the state of Israel.

"In the process of the interview [Simon] asked
what I thought about Muhammad," Falwell explained.
'I said I have read both Muslim and non-Muslim
biographers on Muhammad – of course he lived
hundreds of years ago – but they all seem to
uniformly agree that he was a man of war and
man of violence. And today he would probably be
associated with Arafat and Saddam Hussein as a
terrorist. Killing people didn't bother him.

Falwell said he told Simon that Jesus and
Moses stood in contrast to that.

"Their's was a model of love," he said. "So I
would say that you cannot equate Islam with
Christianity and Judaism."

In his statement, Hooper "encouraged people of
all faiths to read objective books about the
prophet Muhammad so that they will not be
vulnerable to anti-Muslim rhetoric and stereotypes."

The CAIR spokesman also recommended that American
libraries make sure they are a part of his group's
"Library Project" to "give readers access to
fair and balanced materials about Islam."

Falwell emphasized that he hasn't read any
biography that disagrees with his assessment
of Muhammad.

'Demon-possessed Pedophile'?

Last summer, Falwell defended Southern Baptist
pastor Jerry Vines of the First Baptist Church
of Jacksonville, Fla., who declared at the
denomination's convention that Muhammad was a
"demon-possessed pedophile" and that Islam
teaches the destruction of all non-Muslims.

Falwell said Vines, who once served as Southern
Baptist Convention president, based his statement
on passages from the Hadith, revered by Muslims
as the sayings of Muhammad. Volume 1, book 1,
chapter 1 shows that Muhammad himself believed
e was under demonic influence. Another Hadith
passage says Islam's prophet married a 9-year-old girl.

President Bush and Christian and Jewish leaders to
repudiate the "hate-filled, Islamophobic" remarks.

CAIR Executive Director Nihad Awad once worked for
the Islamic Association of Palestine, considered
by U.S. intelligence officials to be a front group
for Hamas operating in the United States. CAIR's
leaders, including Hooper, have gone on record
with their ultimate hope of the U.S. becoming
a Muslim country.

The CBS news program Sunday night also includes an
interview with one of the leading evangelical
supporters of Israel, Ed McAteer, dubbed "godfather
of the religious right" by the Washington Post.

McAteer told WorldNetDaily that he "wouldn't
disagree" with Falwell's assessment of Islam's prophet.

Muhammad was instrumental in the development of
"children killing themselves for the sake of
what his followers" believe, McAteer said.

"He laid the foundation for what's happening in
Jerusalem now," said McAteer, who helped launch
the Moral Majority in the late 1970s.

   2.    PARIAHS

By BEREL WEIN  -  Jerusalem Post  October 3, 2002

There are two countries in the world that are
international pariahs. Yet they are as different as
they can be. One is Saddam Hussein's Iraq. This
lawless regime has been a menace to its neighbors
and to the world for decades. It has engaged in
wars of aggression and conquest against neighboring
Muslim states, it has gassed thousands of its own
citizens, it is governed by a megalomaniac dictator
and torturer, and it has cunningly and successfully
defied the Western world that defeated it in war
a decade ago.

Apparently, US President George Bush has had enough
of Saddam and the danger he represents to the
democratic world, and is about to take action to
depose him, no matter what the consequences. Britain's
Tony Blair is also convinced that Saddam must go,
and is willing to back up his rhetoric with
British arms and blood.

There is general agreement in the world community
about Iraq, even though Russia, France and other
countries trading with Saddam are sulking and are
still willing to somehow give him the benefit of
the doubt in the short term while making money
on his dealings with them.

Even in the Arab world, where Saddam shamelessly
plays the Zionist card, as do most of his fellow
Arab autocrats, his standing is very low. No one
will be sorry to see Iraq crushed and disarmed and
Saddam himself removed from power, and the
sooner the better.

The other pariah country is naturally the State
of Israel. No other country has been the subject of
so many UN resolutions. Israel is constantly
criticized, scrutinized and analyzed. In peace or
war, it rarely finds a sympathetic hearing. It is
probably the only country in the world faced with
extinction - God forbid - if its sworn enemies
were to prevail. It is the subject of many boycotts
on all levels - economic, social, travel, sports,
and academia. It is accused of racism while Islamic
countries such as Saudi Arabia and Iran are allowed
to practice vicious bigotry and religious intolerance
openly, and the Western world winks at these excesses
and outrages. It has never been allowed to reap the
benefits of its victories in wars brought about by the
continuing Arab attempt to eliminate it completely.

In my travels, whenever I present my Israeli
passport in a foreign country, invariably the
passport officer looks at me askance, as though I
was from a different planet. I am probably somewhat
paranoid about this subject, but I am reminded of
the famous remark that Richard Nixon made: "You too
would be paranoid if the whole world was against you!"

The stigma that the Jew in Exile bore for so many
centuries was supposed to have been removed with the
creation of the State of Israel. Instead, we are now
witness to an entire state and all of its inhabitants
being made a pariah. From the French ambassador to
Britain to the oped columnists of England's The
Times and Guardian, through the self-hating Jews
of American academia and the nihilist do-gooders of
Mary Robinson's persuasion, there is a publicly
stated opinion questioning Israel's right to exist.

BUT THERE is a decided difference regarding the
future of these two "outsiders." Iraq, in spite of
its oil wealth and blustering, its weaponry and
cold-blooded cruelty, as it is currently governed
and constituted is going to disappear. It is not
only the determination of the American president that
will bring this about. It is the inexorable lesson of
history, especially the history of the past century,
that despotic and aggressive regimes that subjugate
their own societies for the megalomaniac aspirations
of dictatorial leaders are doomed to disappear.
Either they implode from within or are exploded
from without, but in any event, history eventually
and remorselessly grinds them under.

On the other hand, the Jewish people - the ultimate
"outsider" - continues to survive and stay its course.
The latest statistic that I saw showed that Jews
constituted 0.4% of the world's population. Yet our
relatively insignificant numbers belie our
contributions to the thoughts and value systems of
the rest of the world. And our little state has
enormous achievements - in very difficult circumstances
- on every front. There is no question that the State
of Israel and most Jews would prefer not being an
"outsider." We have more than earned our place in
the civilized societies of the world. Yet Balaam,
no special friend of ours, got it right when he said
"Lo, it is a people that shall dwell alone"
(Numbers 23:9).

I think that he may have meant "a nation that knows
how to successfully live apart." Over millennia, we
have learned the difficult lessons of "a nation that
lives apart" while never forsaking our dreams and
aspirations. The current situation regarding the
Palestinian war is another chapter in being
forced to "live apart."

However, unlike Iraq, we will survive whole and
well, in spite of the machinations of our enemies
and the clucking of our erstwhile "friends."

   3.   THE ART OF THE FAIT ACCOMPLI

A New/Old Military Doctrine For Israel
By Bernard J. Shapiro

Israel in recent years has seemed to have forgotten
many lessons of the past. I call those "lessons"
the art of the fait accompli. Today we have the
sorry example of:

1. Israel taking military action
2. Not completing the action
3. Pausing in the middle of the action allowing
   public opinion and US and world pressure to
   interfere with an ongoing action
4. Retreat from the action allowing the appearance
   of weakness in the face of pressure

In the past Israel's Defense Forces performed many
heroic acts that can only be described as fait
accomplis or "creating facts on the ground." Some
outstanding examples:

1. Orde Wingates' night squads
2. Illegal immigration of Holocaust survivors
   into Israel
3. Retaliatory raids into Arab countries in response
   to attacks on Israel
4. The Sinai Campaign 1956
5. The Six Day War 1967
6. The rescue of Jews at Entebbe
7. The assassination of the PLO Munich murderers
8. The bombing of Iraq's nuclear reactor at Osirak
9. The Peace for Galilee war in Lebanon

Of course there are many more examples, but the
common denominator among them is that the world and
the US disapproved of them all. And if they were not
carried out Israel's deterrence and security would
have been greatly diminished.

One of my great disappointments in the last two
years is the restraint exercised  by the IDF. The
effect of this restraint is to allow the Arabs to
constantly adapt to Israel's strategy. They have a
very high learning curve. In order to stamp out
terrorism it is necessary to excise the whole
institutions that support it. Just like a cancer
that must be cut out completely to  prevent it from
metastazing, the terrorists must be destroyed
completely.

I am not a military expert, yet my observations
seem like common sense and I hope Israel will
begin again to follow them.

WORLD TRIBUNE.COM  -  Thursday, October 3, 2002

RAMALLAH — The Hamas organization has launched an
Internet course in the production and assembly
of explosives.

Israeli and Palestinian sources said Hamas, which
claims responsibility for the lion's share of
Palestinian suicide bombing attacks, has established
an Internet site that offers Muslims instructions in
the production of bombs, rockets and light aircraft.
They said the news of the site has spread
throughout the West Bank and Gaza Strip.

The instructions can be found on the web site of
Hamas's Izzedin Kassam military wing, Middle East
Newsline reported. The site, called "Military Academy,"
offers 14 lessons in bomb-making as part of what the
Islamic group said is a campaign to expand the
pool of bomb-makers.

The courses include lessons on the production of
a belt filled with explosives that can be worn by
a suicide bomber. Other courses demonstrated how
to manufacture RDX plastic explosives, material that
is said to be difficult to detect. The Hamas online
course also provides instructions on preparing
regular bombs as well as methods to identify targets.

Izzedin Kassam said the process of producing suicide
bombs requires three people. They are a bomb expert,
an electrician and a tailor to sew the belt to the
proportions of the suicide attacker.

The Hamas site is interactive and those taking the
course can correspond with the movement's bomb
instructors. But the military wing warned that those
who miss one lesson will not be allowed to
continue the course.

The site said those who ask a question about a
lesson that already was given would be removed from
the course. Those taking the course would also be
required to take tests after each stage.

Hamas has made extensive use of the Internet to
relay instructions and transfer funds. Last month,
Israeli authorities arrested three Palestinians who
had been corresponding with Hamas in their attempt
to poison patrols of a popular Jerusalem cafe.
Officials said the Palestinian recruits failed to
understand the instructions relayed over the Internet.

Israeli sources said Hamas has used the Internet
as part of its drive to restore its infrastructure
in the West Bank. They said some 100 Hamas agents
have been arrested in the West Bank since April.

Hamas and the Lebanese-based Hizbullah have
cooperated in recruiting suicide bombers. The
mothers of some of the Hamas suicide bombers have
appeared on Hizbullah's Al Manar television, widely
viewed in the West Bank and Gaza Strip, and praised
the decision of their children to kill themselves
in attacks on Israel.

But one would-be suicide bomber surrendered to
Israeli military authorities outside the northern
West Bank of Nablus on Tuesday. Palestinian sources
said the young man had been pressured by his mother
to abandon plans for a suicide mission.

   5.   CANADIAN ISSUES

ACTION ALERT: SAVE CANADIAN MAGEN DAVID ADOM
         (Israeli Red Cross)

Magen David Adom is the Israeli version of the Red
Cross. It provides medical care to the citizens of
Israel. The ambulances and medical equipment/supplies
which it uses are donated by people around the world
who go through their respective (and local) MDA
affiliated office. Many countries have these offices;
The United States, Australia, Britain, Canada,
Finland, etc.

The CCRA (Canada Customs and Revenue Agency) is
trying to shut down Canadian Magen David Adom!

The court has allowed an intention to revoke its
charitable status to proceed. CMDA is still
functioning and issuing tax receipts. The predecessor
to this site Canadian Friends of the International
Christian Embassy, Jerusalem, gave up its charitable
status and disbanded under similar circumstances

We can not allow them to do this. At a time when Israel
is in dire need of ambulances and medical supplies,
we can not stand by while the Canadian government
shuts down a human rights organization because of
some ridiculous political technicality.

Everybody has to get involved!

Heres what you can do;

Sign the petition
http://www.PetitionOnline.com/savemda/petition.html

Write to and call:

Prime Minister Jean Chretien
613) 941-6900
pm@pm.gc.ca

Minister of National Revenue, Hon. Elinor Caplan
(She heads the Canada Customs and Revenue Agency)
(613) 992-0253
Caplan.E@parl.gc.ca

Let them know it is not acceptable to shut down
Canadian Magen David Adom (CMDA).

--------------------------------

The CCRA seems busy these days...

CUSTOMS DETAINS PRO-ISRAEL PAPERS
'Clear case of censorship': Ayn Rand group says
ideas are radical but not hateful

Michael Higgins  -  National Post  October 04, 2002

Canada Customs and Revenue Agency was accused of
censorship last night after confiscating newsletters
defending "Israel's moral right to exist" that
were destined for the University of Toronto.

The agency said the goods were being detained to
determine whether they constitute hate propaganda.
Full article:
http://www.nationalpost.com/home/story.html?id={2934249E-2301-4687-85E8-2C72
03C9B188}

The book CAFI is offering onsite "THE FALSE PROPHET" was
also detained to "determine whether they constitute
hate propaganda" After several weeks, the books were
released to us. Get your copy at
http://christianactionforisrael.org/prophet.html

One has to wonder if material championing the other
side of this issue is awarded such close scrutiny...

   6.   QUOTES TO NOTE

    “Of course Israeli policies are fair game for
     criticism. But it is not ‘criticism’ to falsely
     smear Israel as racist—not when the Arab world
     seethes with a hatred of Jews more rabid than
     even the Nazis’ was. It is not ‘criticism’ to
     portray Israel’s lawful presence in Gaza and the
     West Bank as an illegal occupation yet never
     murmur a word of objection to China’s occupation
     of Tibet, Syria’s of Lebanon, Turkey’s of Northern
     Cyprus, or Russia’s of Chechnya. It is not
     ‘criticism’ to lay the blame for the violence of
     the Middle East at Israel’s doorstep while ignoring
     the immense risks that Israel has taken, and the
     sacrifices it has made, in pursuit of peace with
     the Palestinians. It is not ‘criticism’ to accuse
     Israel of apartheid when it is the Arab world that
     preaches ‘Kill the Jews!’ and dances in the street
     when terrorists do so. This is not criticism—
     it is calumny. It butchers the truth and subjects
     Israel to a cruel double standard. It abets the
     cause of the world’s foremost Jew-haters—people
     whose explicit goal is the liquidation of the
     Jewish state. A professor who signs his name to
     something so grotesque is committing an
     anti-Semitic act.”

—Columnist Jeff Jacoby, referring to the divestment
from Israel campaign underway at Harvard University and
elsewhere, which singles out Israel for demonization.
(Boston Globe, Sept. 26)

   7.    HIGHLIGHT ARTICLES ON THE SITE

EVIL IS EVIL
And if not evil incarnate, how can one explain or
justify the joyous street celebrations that erupt
as soon as there is news of Israeli women and
children having been blown apart by one of
the heroic "shahids"?
http://christianactionforisrael.org/isreport/oct02/evil.html

DEMOCRACY & RELIGION IN AMERICA
 Freedom sees religion as the companion of its
struggles and triumphs, the cradle of its infancy,
and the divine source of its rights.
http://christianactionforisrael.org/judeochr/democracy.html

SPEAKING OF THE UN
The major flaw of the UN is that it pretends that a
democratic mechanism - one country, one vote - can
sanitize the fact that most of the countries that
are voting are themselves undemocratic.
http://christianactionforisrael.org/un/speaking.html

THE TROUBLE WITH THE U.N.
The U.N. is obsessed with Israel. And that is a
great example of why we should treat the U.N. for
what it is - an evil and irrelevant group of
global busybodies.
http://christianactionforisrael.org/un/trouble.html