CAFI Newsletter #99

cafi-list@christianactionforisrael.org cafi-list@christianactionforisrael.org
Fri, 30 Aug 2002 18:31:42 -0400

Blank********************************************************
* CHRISTIAN ACTION FOR ISRAEL NEWSLETTER  #99 *
"ON YOUR WALLS, O JERUSALEM, I HAVE APPOINTED WATCHMEN"
Isaiah 62:6

               Friday, August 30, 2002

IN THIS ISSUE:

  1.    OSLO REDUX
  2.    PALESTINIANS CONSIDER OSLO 'TROJAN HORSE'
  3.    TEMPLE MOUNT BULGE AN EXPLOSIVE PROBLEM
  4.    QUOTES TO NOTE
  5.    HIGHLIGHT ARTICLES

PLEASE HELP US SUPPORT ISRAEL

http://christianactionforisrael.org/donations.html

   1.    OSLO REDUX

Jerusalem Post  -  Aug. 30, 2002

Shortly after 11 p.m. on Tuesday, Palestinian terrorists
in Gaza fired mortar shells at the Jewish community of
Neveh Dekalim, one of which struck the home of the
Greenberg family, scoring a direct hit. Miraculously,
no one was hurt, but three children had to be
treated for shock after the incident.

While incidents such as these have become all too
common in the past two years, it is worth reminding
ourselves just how grave they truly are, particularly
for the families involved. As Oshrit Greenberg later
described it in a radio interview, she and her
children endured a terrifying experience:

"We heard a tremendous boom, and the whole house shook.
Two seconds later, all the electricity went out, and
there was total darkness. I immediately went to check
on the kids, and brought them into our 'safe room.'"
Her children, she said, "understand what happened, as
this is not the first time that shells have fallen here."

Indeed, it most assuredly is not. Since the start of
the Palestinian terror campaign, over 1,500 mortar
shells have been fired at Jewish communities in Gush
Katif. This latest attack, though, comes in the wake
of the "Gaza-Bethlehem first" plan, under which
Israel agreed to pull back its forces as a test of
Palestinian intentions. If the events of the past
few days are any indication, then it is clear that
the Palestinians are not worthy of a passing grade.

For, in addition to the attack on the Greenberg home,
five shells were fired in Gaza on Wednesday night,
with one landing near an IDF position and another
near Neveh Dekalim's Industrial Park. Palestinian
terrorists also carried out a bomb attack against IDF
soldiers in the Tel Katifa outpost, opened fire on
Israeli troops near Gadid, and launched grenades
against the Tarmit outpost near Rafah. If this is
the Palestinian idea of peace and quiet, then one
wonders what would qualify as war?

Particularly worrisome, however, has been the
government's response to this fresh outburst of
terrorist violence. Though Defense Minister Binyamin
Ben-Eliezer did postpone a meeting with Palestinian
Interior Minister Abdel Razak al-Yahya that had
been scheduled to take place on Wednesday night
and which had been slated to discuss the
implementation of the "Gaza-Bethlehem first" deal,
it is difficult to comprehend why the government
feels it necessary to continue with the current
charade in the first place.

If, as senior officials repeatedly stated from
the outset, the litmus test of "Gaza-Bethlehem
first" would be Palestinian success in combating
terror, then that experiment has already proven to
be a failure. Nevertheless, Ben-Eliezer is determined
to meet again with al-Yahya, and according to
reports in the Israeli media, they will discuss
the modalities for an Israeli pullback from Hebron,
as if nothing at all had occurred in Gaza over
the past week.

If this is all starting to sound familiar, that
is because it is. What the government is essentially
doing is repeating the mistake of Oslo demanding
Palestinian commitments only to ignore their
systematic violation, and then proceeding with
further withdrawals despite ongoing Palestinian
terror. Such an approach, of course, only sends a
message of weakness to the other side, for why
should they respect their commitments if Israel
will in any event overlook their non-compliance?

It was precisely this misguided mindset that led
Israel to the perilous state in which it now finds
itself. Criticizing the Palestinians and demanding
that they fulfill their commitments has little
meaning if they are not later held accountable
for their performance.

The fact that nearly a decade has passed since the
Oslo Accords were signed, and the government has
yet to learn this most elementary of lessons,
hardly bodes well for the future. If anything, it
means that the Greenberg family's home is unlikely
to be the last to come under Palestinian attack.

   2.   PALESTINIANS CONSIDER OSLO 'TROJAN HORSE'

Leaders consistently speak of process as
means to destroy Israel

Claims by a top Israeli official that the Palestinian
Authority plans to destroy Israel in stages
through the Oslo Accords are supported by
numerous statements in Arabic by Palestinian
leaders, according to a regional press monitor.

Israeli Defense Forces Chief of Staff Moshe
Ya'alon's assessment in an interview published
this week in the Israeli newspaper Ha'aretz has
caused a political stir, notes Palestinian Media
Watch. But Palestinian leaders such as Faisal
Husseini, PA representative for Jerusalem affairs,
have explicitly stated that the Oslo process,
which began in 1993, is a Trojan horse designed
to wipe Israel off the map.

"Had the U.S. and Israel realized, before Oslo,
that all that was left of the Palestinian National
movement and the Pan-Arab movement was a
wooden horse called Arafat or the PLO, they
would never have opened their fortified gates
and let it inside their walls," Husseini said in an
interview with the Egyptian publication
Al-Arabi', June 24, 2001.

Husseini said that the Intifada "could have been
much better, broader, and more significant had
we made it clearer to ourselves that the Oslo
agreement, or any other agreement, is just a
temporary procedure, or just a step towards
something bigger. . . ."

"We distinguish the strategic, long-term goals
from the political-phased goals, which we are
compelled to temporarily accept due to
international pressure," Husseini said.

"[Palestine], according to the higher strategy, [is]
'from the river to the sea,'" he said referring to a
common description of Israel. 'Palestine in its
entirety is an Arab land, the land of the Arab
nation."

In the Ha'aretz interview, Ya'alon was asked to
clarify whether he believed the goal of Arafat is
to liquidate Israel by stages.

"Of course," the Israel defense chief responded.
"Not to reach an agreement and not to arrive at
the end of their claims, in order to preserve the
conflict and to let time run its course according to
the phased theory."

United worldview

Palestinian Media Watch says its research
demonstrates a clear and united worldview
within the Palestinian leadership that defines
Israel as a colony that stole the land of
"Palestine" and thus has no right to exist.

In speeches, sermons, educational programs and
school textbooks published by the PA, the Oslo
process is called a "stage," a temporary
agreement that is necessary "because of the
current balance of power" in which Israel has a
huge military advantage.

The "permanent status agreement" with Israel is
viewed as "Hudna," an Islamic term meaning
cease-fire.

In an interview on Palestinian television, Sept. 1,
2000, Israeli Arab Knesset Member Abd-Al
Malek Dahamshe responded to a telephone call
from a viewer who said: "Our problem with
Israel is not a border problem, but one of
existence."

Dahamshe responded: "We exaggerate when we
say 'peace' . . . what we are [really] speaking
about is 'Hudna.'"

In an interview with the official PA daily
Al-Hayat Al-Jadida, April 14, 2000, Abdullah
Al-Hourani, chairman of the Palestinian National
Council Political Committee, responded to the
question, "How do you read the future of the
peace process?"

Al-Hourani said:

 "Whether they return to negotiations
 or not, and whether they fulfill the
 agreements or not, the political plan
 is a temporary agreement, and the
 conflict remains eternal, will not be
 locked, and the agreements being
 talked about are regarding the
 current balance of power. As to the
 struggle, it will continue. It may
 pause at times, but in the final
 analysis, Palestine is ours from the
 [Mediterranean] Sea to the [Jordan]
 River."

Oslo is just the first step in the destruction of
Israel, Abd El Aziz Shahian, Palestinian
Authority Minister of Supplies, said in an
interview May 20, 2000, with Al Ayyam, an
Arabic daily in the Palestinian territories.

"The Palestinian people accepted the Oslo
agreements as a first step and not as a
permanent settlement, based on the premise that
the war and struggle in the land is more efficient
than a struggle from a distant land," he said,
referring to the Palestinian Liberation
Organization's base in Tunisia prior to the Oslo
process.

The Palestinian minister said his "people will
continue the revolution until they achieve the
goals of the '65 revolution," referring to the
founding of the PLO and publication of the
Palestinian charter that calls for the destruction
of Israel through an armed struggle.

Salim Alo'adia Abu Salam, supervisor of political
affairs for the PA, told Al-Hayat Al-Jadida, Jan.
20, 2000, that "when we picked up the gun in '65
and the modern Palestinian revolution began, it
had a goal. This goal has not changed and it is
the liberation of Palestine."

Palestinian state not end of the road

Yasser Arafat's deputy, Othman Abu Arbiah, has
stated that the establishment of a Palestinian
state with Jerusalem as its capital is a means
toward eliminating Israel.

"At this stage we'll prevail in our struggle
[toward] the goals of the stages [plan]," he said
in an interview with Al-Hayat Al-Jadida, Nov.
25, 1999. "The goal of this stage is the
establishment of the independent Palestinian
state, with its capital in Jerusalem. When we
achieve this, it will be a positive [step] and it will
advance us to the next stage via other ways and
means."

Abu Arbiah said "every Palestinian must know
clearly and unequivocally that the independent
Palestinian state, with Jerusalem as its capital is
not the end of the road. The [rise of] the
Palestinian state is a stage after which there will
be another stage and that is the democratic state
in all of Palestine [in place of Israel]."

Palestinian Media Watch notes that Abu Arbiah
is Arafat's aide for political guidance and
national affairs and the director-general for
national affairs, a senior position in the
Palestinian national educational structure.

Imad Alfalugi, the PA minister of communication,
told Al-Hayat Al-Jadida, Nov. 18, 1999, "Our
people have hope for the future, that the
occupation state [Israel] ceases to exist, and that
it makes no difference [how great] its power and
arrogance. . . ."

Claim rooted in Isalm

The preacher of the Al-Aqsa Mosque, Sheikh
Yousuf Abu Sneina, declared, in a distinct
religious context, the belief that all of Israel is
"Palestine" forever.

"The Islamic land of Palestine is one and can not
be divided. There is no difference between Haifa
and Nablus, between Lod and Ramallah,
between Jerusalem and Nazareth, between Gaza
and Ashkelon," he said on Palestinian television,
Sept. 8, 2000, referring to cities in Israel and PA
territory. "The land of Palestine is Waqf land that
belongs to Muslims throughout the world and
no one has the right to act freely or the right to
make concessions or to abandon her. Whoever
does this betrays a [trust] and is nothing more
than a loathsome criminal whose abode is in
Hell!"

Sheikh Ikrima Sabri, PA-appointed mufti of
Jerusalem and Palestine, said in a Jan. 11, 2001,
television broadcast that emphasis on gaining
Jerusalem should not be viewed as conceding
other parts of Israel.

"We are discussing the current problems and
when we speak about Jerusalem it doesn't mean
that we have forgotten about Hebron or about
Jaffa or about Acre," the sheikh said. "We are
speaking about the current problems that have
priority at a certain time. It doesn't mean that we
have given up. . . . We have announced a
number of times that from a religious point of
view Palestine from the sea to the river is
Islamic."

All agreements are temporary, said Dr. Ahmed
Yousuf Abu Halbiah, a member of Palestinian
Sharianic (Islamic law) Rulings Council and
rector of advanced studies at the Islamic
University, evoking Islam's founder in a July 28,
2000, message on Palestinian television.

"We the nation of Palestine, our fate from Allah is
to be the vanguard in the war against the Jews
until the resurrection of the dead, as the Prophet
Muhammad said: The resurrection of the dead
will not come until you do battle with the Jews
and kill them. We the Palestinians, are the
vanguard in this issue, in this battle, whether we
want to or whether we refuse. All the
agreements being made are temporary."

Dr. Muhammad Ibrahim Madi, a PA religious
leader, said on Palestinian television, April 12,
2002:

 "We are positive that Allah will help
 us triumph. Our belief is firm that one
 day we will enter Jerusalem as
 conquerors, enter Jaffa as
 conquerors, Ramle and Lod. and all
 of Palestine, as conquerors. "If [Allah]
 asks [Arab leaders], on Judgment
 Day: 'The majority of Palestine was
 lost in '48, and what did you do? And
 the remainder was lost in '67, and
 now it is being vanquished again.'
 How shall we respond to our Lord?"

Madi said "Palestine shall be the burial grounds
of the invaders just as it was for the Tartars, and
the Crusaders and for modern colonialism. The
Tradition relates to us that Allah's cherished one
[Muhammad] said: 'The Jews will battle against
you but you shall emerge masters over them.'"