CAFI Newsletter #92

cafi-list@christianactionforisrael.org cafi-list@christianactionforisrael.org
Fri, 12 Jul 2002 19:08:53 -0400

* CHRISTIAN ACTION FOR ISRAEL NEWSLETTER  #92 *
"ON YOUR WALLS, O JERUSALEM, I HAVE APPOINTED WATCHMEN"
Isaiah 62:6

               Friday, July 12, 2002

IN THIS ISSUE:

  1.    COMING HOME, FULL OF HOPE
  2.    ONWARD THRU THE FOG
  3.    WHY FEAR STALKS THE FUTURE FOR ISRAEL
  4.    WHATEVER YOU DO, DON'T CALL IT A HATE CRIME
  5.    QUOTES TO NOTE
  6.    HIGHLIGHT ARTICLES

WE NEED YOUR FINANCIAL SUPPORT

Our site (and newsletter) are privately owned and
operated, and receive no institutional, denominational,
governmental or inter-faith funding.

We depend ENTIRELY on viewer/reader donations.
PLEASE  HELP US get the truth out about Israel
and God's chosen people. All needed info at:

http://christianactionforisrael.org/donations.html

   1.   COMING HOME, FULL OF HOPE

By Noa Resi Hirsch  July 11, 2002

I write to you, finally, as Noa Resi Hirsch, an
Israeli citizen.

I cannot describe what I am feeling now. Words
could not do justice to the love that has poured
out of the hearts of my fellow Israelis. But since
I'm rarely one who is short on words, I'll try.

I pulled into JFK airport yesterday afternoon.
Immediately I was greeted by a cacophony of sounds,
Israeli music, screaming children, anxious parents,
sad friends, and bunches of blue and white balloons,
imprinted with "Mazal Tov to the Olim" (Congratulations
to the new immigrants - literally 'ascenders'). There
was a massive "balagan" (crazy mess) as 400 people
said goodbye to 400 sets of friends and relatives.

After we loaded onto the plane an announcement was
made informing us as to just how diverse our group
really was. We came from 23 American states, and from
two provinces of Canada. The flight was crazy. There
were 150 children under the age of 12, media from all
over on the flight, and clerks from the Israeli
Ministry of Interior to process our immigration
papers mid-flight, so that we would not have to wait
in long lines when we arrived in Israel. On El Al
flights it is customary for the passengers to clap for
the captain after he has made a safe landing in Israel.
This was the first time I ever heard us clap for the
captain as we took off.

I did not, could not, sleep a wink or eat more than
a bite. I was excited, nervous, thrilled, scared,
and happy - all at once.

As we approached Israel, and began our descent, the
captain of the plane (this would only happen in Israel)
shared the story of his family tree, and thanked us for
moving to Israel at this difficult time in her history.
Then the Hebrew music started playing, and when they got
to "Yerushalayim Shel Zahav" (Jerusalem of Gold) I
could not contain myself any longer and cried the
sweetest tears of happiness. As I looked around at
my fellow passengers, I saw I was not alone.

We quickly got off the plane - I was lucky to be
seated near the front. My eyes met a sight I will
never forget. I looked out of the plane (flights
landing at Ben-Gurion empty directly onto the tarmac,
no jet-ways to the gates) and saw an entire airplane
hangar filled with people - waving flags, singing,
shouting, laughing, and crying. Some 1,000 people had
gathered to greet my flight - the 400 American olim.

The path from the steps of the plane to the hangar
was lined with El-Al employees and government
officials, all singing the traditional "Heiveinu
Shalom Aleichem," hugging us and welcoming us home.
For those of you with whom I have previously shared
my dream of an ideal aliyah - this was it. Singing,
clapping, crying. Time for more tears. People were
holding signs welcoming us, with tears in their own eyes.

Of course it was a media zoo, with cameras, reporters,
etc., from all over the world to report on this
historic flight. I got to personally shake hands
and be welcomed by Bibi Netanyahu.

Most amazing were all of the wonderful and kind people
I have written about in the past, who all offered
their hearts and hospitality to welcome me into the
country. They all showed up at the airport! They
drove hours to be there, sat out in the hot Tel Aviv
sun until our (delayed) flight landed - all to
welcome someone they had never previously met.

I have received a little bit of media attention in
the past weeks, and one of the stories in an
Israeli paper ran a picture of me, mentioned that I
was a law student and actually stated how much I
owed in student loans (something I definitely did
not want the country of Israel to know about). A
man and woman came up to me in the airport and said
that they recognized my face, and that the man was
a lawyer and wanted to help me in any way he could,
and he gave me his card. Someone else also
apparently saw the same article, called up the
offices of the organization I made aliyah through,
and offered me a job! (My student loans are hefty!)

Anyway, there were tons of speeches and welcomes.
But the most important moment for me was when we
sang the "Hatikvah," Israel's national anthem, a
song of hope for the Jewish state. Many times I
have sung that song - literally "The Hope" - with
feeling, pride and sadness. Today, for the first
time, I sang the "Hatikvah" as an Israeli. I sang
with a group of 400 new Israelis and it was the
sweetest song I could have ever sung.

The rest of the process went smoothly, except for
the hassle of officially changing my name to Noa
Resi Hirsch, but it's done (I think).

As I exited the airport, there was a large group
of people who were not able to make it into the
hangar ceremony. Nonetheless, they gathered to
support us, and one man was handing out little bags
of books, candy and notes. When I asked him what
organization he was from, he said none. He was here,
as an individual, to support us. In the packet was
the "Prayer for the Resident of Israel" and a book
of Tehillim (psalms) with the words

  "Welcome Immigrants to the Holy Land"

engraved on the cover in Hebrew.

I'm in Jerusalem now. Night has fallen and it
seems peaceful. Quiet. Beautiful.

I'm home.

   2.   ONWARD THRU THE FOG

Dear Friends,

The following came through my e-mail.  I can’t
tell you how to get in touch with the Major,
because I don’t know.  I can’t swear this person
exists, or that these are his words.  I’m sending
it to you because none of that matters. It’s a
wonderful piece, and I share every sentiment.
I'll follow this Marine anywhere.

Naomi Ragen

(written by)
-- Ed Evans, MGy Sgt., USMC (Ret.)

Not as lean, Not as mean, But still a Marine.

I sat in a movie theater watching "Schindler's List,"
asked myself, "Why didn't the Jews fight back?"

Now I know why.

I sat in a movie theater, watching "Pearl Harbor"
and asked myself, "Why weren't we prepared?"

Now I know why.

Civilized people cannot fathom, much less predict,
the actions of evil people.

On September 11, dozens of capable airplane passengers
allowed themselves to be overpowered by a handful
of poorly armed terrorists because they did not
comprehend the depth of hatred that motivated
their captors.

On September 11, thousands of innocent people were
murdered because too many Americans naively reject
the reality that some nations are dedicated to the
dominance of others. Many political pundits, pacifists
and media personnel want us to forget the carnage.
They say we must focus on the bravery of the
rescuers and ignore the cowardice of the killers.
They implore us to understand the motivation of the
perpetrators. Major television stations have
announced they will assist the healing process by
not replaying devastating footage of the planes
crashing into the Twin Towers.

I will not be manipulated.
I will not pretend to understand.
I will not forget.

I will not forget the liberal media who abused freedom
of the press to kick our country when it was vulnerable
and hurting.  I will not forget that CBS anchor Dan
Rather preceded President Bush's address to the nation
with the snide remark, "No matter how you feel about him,
he is still our president."

I will not forget that ABC TV anchor Peter Jennings
questioned President Bush's motives for not returning
immediately to Washington, DC and commented, "We're
all pretty skeptical and cynical about Washington."

And I will not forget that ABC's Mark Halperin warned
if reporters weren't informed of every little detail
of this war, they aren't "likely - nor should they be
expected - to show deference."

I will not isolate myself from my fellow Americans by
pretending an attack on the USS Cole in Yemen was not
an attack on the United States of America. I will not
forget the Clinton administration equipped Islamic
terrorists and their supporters with the world's most
sophisticated telecommunications equipment and
encryption technology, thereby compromising America's
ability to trace terrorist radio, cell phone,land
lines, faxes and modem communications.

I will not be appeased with pointless, quick
retaliatory strikes like those perfected by the
previous administration. I will not be comforted by
"feel-good, do nothing" regulations like the silly
"Have your bags been under your control?" question
at the airport.

I will not be influenced by so called, "antiwar
demonstrators" who exploit the right of statement to
chant anti-American obscenities.

I will not forget the moral victory handed the
North Vietnamese by American war protesters who
reviled and spat upon the returning soldiers, airmen,
sailors and Marines. I will not be softened by the
wishful thinking of pacifists who chose reassurance
over reality. I will embrace the wise words of
Prime Minister Tony Blair who told Labor Party
conference,

   "They have no moral inhibition on the
   slaughter of the innocent. If they could have
   murdered not 7,000 but 70,000, does anyone doubt
   they would have done so and rejoiced in it?

There is no compromise possible with such people, no
meeting of minds, no point of understanding with such
terror. Just a choice: defeat it or be defeated by
it. And defeat it we must!"

I will force myself to: -hear the weeping -feel
the helplessness -imagine the terror -sense the
panic -smell the burning flesh -experience the loss
remember the hatred.

I sat in a movie theater, watching "Saving Private
Ryan" and asked myself,

"Where did they find the courage?"

Now I know.
We have no choice.
Living without liberty is not living.

   3.   WHY FEAR STALKS THE FUTURE FOR ISRAEL

Arnold Beichman - Washington Times - July 8, 2002

     Picture this in three, four, five years: There
is now a Palestinian state with everything a state has
— police and fire stations, a health department,
schools and boards of education, newspapers and radio
stations, shopping malls, a national legislature,
mosques and an airport with two long runways capable
of handling Boeing 767s, its own control tower located
a short flying distance from the center of densely
populated Tel Aviv.

     Of course, there are agreed upon arrival and
departure patterns for the Arafat Air Lines. No AAL
plane may overfly Israeli territory without permission
from the El Al traffic control tower.

     And if it doesn't get permission and continues
on its course to Tel Aviv, are Israeli jets allowed to
shoot down the errant AAL plane no doubt full of
innocent Palestinians?

     As of now, Israel has only had to worry about
suicide bombers on the ground. With a new sovereign
Palestinian state, Israel's population of 6 million
(1 million of whom are Arabs) would have a new worry
— suicide bombers in the air. Impossible?

     On Oct. 31, 1999, Halloween morning, EgyptAir
Flight 900 went down into the Atlantic Ocean 60 miles
south of Nantucket. Thirty-seven minutes into the
flight, EgyptAir 900 disappeared from the radar
screen of the New York Center air controllers. Of
the 217 people aboard the flight 100 were Americans,
89 Egyptians (including 33 army officers), 22
Canadians and a few people of other nationalities.

     An Atlantic Monthly magazine article by William
Langewiesche, a journalist-pilot, concluded that the
crash was not caused, as Egypt claimed, by any
mechanical failure of the giant twin-engine Boeing
767 but by the intentional act of a pilot. (The more
than 800 Boeing 767s in the world's airline fleet
account for more trans-Atlantic flights than all
other airliners combined. They have a great
safety record).

     Since EgyptAir is government-owned, Egyptian
President Hosni Mubarak called the White House
immediately after the crash and asked the United
States to take over the investigation although Egypt
had every right to do its own investigation.

     The National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB),
established in 1967 and boasting an admirable track
record, took over. NTSB has one assignment:
Investigate air accidents and issue safety
recommendations and it did its job. It found that
the crash had been caused by an EgyptAir pilot who,
while alone in the cockpit, disengaged the autopilot,
cut the engines and dove the giant plane into the
ocean all the while muttering, as recorded by the
recovered flight tape recorder,an Islamic prayer.

     The pilot who brought EgyptAir 900 crashing
down from 33,000 feet was Gameel al-Batouti, about
to reach the mandatory retirement age of 60. He was
the cruise-pilot who on the long transoceanic flight
would relieve the co-pilot in the right hand seat.
Batouti pressed the co-pilot to swap seats well ahead
of the time for the scheduled crew change. The
aircraft commander, Ahmad al-Habashi, excused himself
for a visit to the bathroom leaving Batouti alone in
the cockpit. The voice recorder has Batouti's voice
softly speaking the Arabic phrase, "Tawakkalt ala
Allah," or, "I rely on God." Then a whirring is heard:
autopilot disengaged and again is heard: "Tawakkalt
ala Allah." Then, according to the fight-data recorder,
the death dive begins: The throttles are shoved back
in one thrust to minimum idle which means the plane
loses flying speed and lift and, a second later, the
airplane's elevators, which control pitch, drop —
which means the tail goes up and the nose down.

     "Apparently, Batouti," writes Mr. Langewiesche,
"had chopped the power and pushed the control forward."
Six times in quick succession Batouti repeats:
"Tawakkalt ala Allah."

     Capt. Habashi, making his way back from the
toilet, is heard yelling: "What's happening? What's
happening?" Batouti replies: "Tawakkalt ala Allah."
The rate of descent has now reached 39,000 feet a
minute. Batouti shuts off the fuel, killing both
engines, and Capt. Habashi yells: "What is this?
What is this? Did you shut the engines?" One hundred
seconds later, it was all over — 217 innocent people
dead. Who knows or ever will know anything about
Batouti's connections?

     How would AAL guarantee that there are no
Batoutis among future pilots or no terrorist gunmen
like the 19 who seized four U.S. airliners on Sept.11,
2001, and wiped out the Twin Towers and some 2,000
innocent people?

     President Bush knows that Yasser Arafat has
subsidized the Aksa Martyrs Brigade, a terrorist
organization, and we must assume other groups like
Aksa. Even if Mr. Arafat now wants to stop suicide
bombers on the ground and cannot, how is he going
to guarantee safety of airline travel from the Arafat
Airport in Arafat Airlines? Would Israel feel safe
with a scheduled airline under Palestinian control?
Would Israel feel safe with Iraqi, Syrian or
Iranian airliners flying in and out of a
Palestinian airport?

     Am I being too super-cautious? Then let me
ask whether we would clear an Arafat Airlines plane
to fly into New York's JFK , Washington's Reagan
National or Dulles International?

     We know the catastrophic damage an airliner
can do, let alone the damage even a small airplane
can do — as one did when it smashed into a Florida
office building. In face of such events, is Israel
going to accept a Palestinian airline? A survey of
1,179 Palestinians conducted last month by the
Palestinian Jerusalem Media and Communications Center
showed that over two-thirds of Palestinians favor
suicide bombers against Israelis, and more than
half of the respondents said the aim of the
intifada is to wipe out Israel entirely.

     What nobody wants to say aloud, including
Shimon Peres and Hosni Mubarak, is that Arabdom
wants the destruction of Israel forever, and
therefore any real durable peace is out of the
question. So long as there is a potentially prosperous,
modern Israel in the Middle East, it endangers the
continued existence of theocratic tyrannies like
Saudi Arabia and Iran or Ba'ath dictatorships like
Syria and Iraq. Expulsion of Israeli settlements in
Gaza and West Bank are mincing first steps to
driving Israel into the sea. That is why maps in
Palestinian schoolrooms show Palestine only; there
is no Israel. That is why the concept of peace in
the Middle East is empty of meaning.

Nevertheless, the show must go on.

Arnold Beichman, a research fellow at the Hoover
Institution, is a Washington Times columnist.

   4.  WHATEVER YOU DO, DON'T CALL IT A HATE CRIME

By Mark Steyn - National Post - July 8, 2002

I'm a dead white male, as you can tell from the above
picture. Suppose on Martin Luther King Day I went to
the offices of the National Association for the
Advancement of Colored People and shot the receptionists.
How many nano-seconds do you think it would take before
the attack was being characterized as racially motivated?
Your top Olympic hotshot could ingest every steroid on
the planet and he couldn't beat that time.

Suppose it was Judy Garland's birthday and I went to
my local gay bathhouse and opened fire on the fetching
young men handing out the towels. How many minutes
would tick by before the word "homophobia" was heard?

Or suppose it was the anniversary of Roe v. Wade, and
me and my semi-automatic swung by the abortion clinic...

Well, you get the idea. On the Fourth of July (hint) a
guy went to the airport in Los Angeles, sauntered up to
the ticket counter of El Al (hint) and fatally shot two
people and wounded three. How many folks hearing the
news on a quickie radio update honestly expected it to
be anyone other than a Muslim male of Middle Eastern
origin? Obviously, Underperformin' Norman Mineta, the
scrupulously sensitivity-trained U.S. Transportation
Secretary, would have been wary of jumping to
conclusions. Were he running the LAPD, he'd have
pulled in a couple of elderly nuns and Kelli-Sue,
a trainee hairdresser from Des Moines.

But, fortunately for the final death toll, El Al has
its own security and so the suspect, after firing 10
rounds, was himself killed. And whaddaya know? He wasn't
an elderly nun but a 41-year-old Egyptian male! His name
wasn't Kellie-Sue, it was Hesham Mohamed Hadayet!

This stunning development seems to have completely
disoriented the FBI. I quote from The New York Times
headline: "Officials Puzzled About Motive Of Airport Gunman."

Hmm. Egyptian Muslim kills Jews on American national
holiday. Best not to jump to conclusions. Denial
really is a river in Egypt. "It appears he went there
with the intention of killing people," said Richard
Garcia, the Bureau's agent in charge. "Why he did
that we are still trying to determine."

CNN and The Associated Press all but stampeded to
report a "witness" who described the shooter as a fat
white guy in a ponytail who kept yelling "Artie took
my job." But, alas, this promising account proved to
be a prank. Saudi Arabia's popular Arab News suggested
that Mr. Hadayet had made the mistake of doing business
with El Al and that "the Israeli airline had been late
in paying for two limousine rentals from the Egyptian
immigrant's company." If a couple of late cheques were
a motive for murder, Izzy's and Conrad's heads would
now be stuffed and mounted in my trophy room. But,
sadly, this cautionary tale about the Jew
bloodsucker's commercial wiles proved also to be false.

That left the police with no leads. Nothing to go on.
The trail's stone cold. All the FBI has is an Egyptian
male, who'd complained to his apartment managers after
his neighbours post-9/11 began displaying the American
flag; who'd posted a banner saying "READ KORAN" on his
own front door; who told his employees that he hated
Israel, that the two biggest drug dealers in New York
were Israelis, and that Israel was trying to wipe out
the Egyptian population by flooding the country with
AIDS-infected Jewess prostitutes.

Could even the most expert psychological profiler make
sense of such confusing and contradictory signs?
Beats me, Sherlock.
But, as Agent Garcia says, there's no indication of
"anti-Israel views or any other type of racial views."
Orange County's Muslim Public Affairs Council has
praised Agent Garcia for his exceptionally advanced
levels of sensitivity. Any moment now, they'll be
demanding to know why Governor Gray Davis has
failed to visit a mosque to reassure Muslims.

Meanwhile, a London newspaper says that Mr. Hadayet
may have met with Osama bin Laden's deputy on at
least two occasions in Cairo. If last Thursday's
shooting is the spectacular Fourth of July massacre
al-Qaeda have been promising for months, then
they're to be congratulated for a bloody slaughter
on an epic scale never before seen in America
except from incompetent grade-school psychos who
steal Uncle Bud's hunting rifle but forget to
take any extra ammo.

In a story headlined "Bin Laden Plans Fresh Terror
For September," Britain's Observer reported yesterday
that "terrorists are planning a series of spectacular
attacks on American, British and Israeli targets to
coincide with the anniversary of the destruction of
the World Trade Center on 11 September last year."
As spectacular as Thursday? Well, let's not get too
ambitious ... Oh, speaking of the late Mr. bin Laden,
whatever happened to that new video we were promised
any day now? Well, apparently, that's been pushed back
to the new fall season, too, and should be premiering
the same week as the new romantic comedy in which I
star as the world's most eligible bachelor unable to
choose between Julia Roberts and Cameron Diaz and so
forced to make love to both repeatedly. I offered
Osama a small part, but he said,
"I've got one already."

Credit where it's due. Between September 11th and
July 4th, there were no terrorist attacks on American
soil. That's a longer period of peace than the
British ever managed in the 30 years it took them to
surrender to the IRA. Much of this 10-month calm is
due to increased vigilance but some of it is also due
to al-Qaeda's preference for hiring morons. If their
glorious Fourth was really the follow-up to 9/11,
then I'd say that's the worst-performing sequel
since Dudley Moore made Arthur II.

But let's take the Feds at their word when they
insist there's "no connection" between the LAX killer
and any terrorist organizations. In its way, that's
even more disturbing. Mr. Hadayet doesn't fit the
poverty-breeds-desperation-breeds-resentment routine:
He lived in a prosperous L.A. suburb and ran his own
business. America had been good to him, at least when
compared with the economic basket-case he emigrated
from. On July 4th, he had plenty of reasons to get
out the bunting and firecrackers.
Instead, he went Jew-killing.

Osama and al-Qaeda are a small problem, which since
September 11th has been managed about as well as can
be expected. But the broader culture of "intolerance"
in certain unassimilated communities is a potentially
much bigger problem. You win wars not just by bombing
but by argument, too: Churchill understood this; he
characterized the enemy as evil, because they were
and because it was important for the British people
to understand this if they were to muster the will
to see the war through. In Vietnam, the U.S. lost
the rhetorical ground to Jane Fonda and co., and
wound up losing the war, too. It's critical that the
same thing does not happen here. The organizations
that purport to represent Muslims in North America
and Europe have their own excuses for turning a blind
eye to the torrent of hate from respectable sources
within the Muslim world -- mosques, media,
government. There's no reason why the FBI and other
U.S. agencies should sign on to their fictions.

In the meantime, spare a thought for Thursday's victims,
Victoria Hen, 25, and Yaakov Aminov, 46. Mr. Hadayet
successfully orphaned eight children -- and a ninth on
the way.

Congratulations to another heroic Islamist martyr!

But, in the midst of so much regrettably predictable
behaviour, this column is pleased to inaugurate the
David Atkin Muslim Balls Award. As readers may recall,
the other week, David Atkin of Windsor, Ont., wrote
to say that I "don't have the balls to write anything
positive about Muslims." So let me salute those
Muslim Pakistani police currently searching for
three men wanted for carrying out the gang-rape to
which an 18-year-old girl was sentenced by a Punjabi
tribal council. Let me also salute the many Muslim
Pakistanis said to be "outraged" by the girl's
treatment: She was punished by the council because
her brother had been seen unchaperoned with a woman
from a higher social class; her father was made to
witness the multiple rape. Let me salute, too, Muslim
strongman General Musharraf who is ordering
compensation of US$8,000 to be paid. It's not a lot
-- indeed, it would be insulting in a Western court
-- but at least he recognizes something's wrong.
That's a start. Returning his country to English
Common Law would be even better.

     5.   QUOTES TO NOTE

    The Jews tried to kill Muhammad many times,
    with poison and with magic, and by throwing
    stones at him, and by all types of assassinations.
    He warned us about the Jews, and about the cunning
    of the Jews...He told us about the character of
    the Jew, in the book of Allah and in the Traditions
    of the Prophet, so that we would beware of them at
    every moment. And we know how to deal with the Jews.
    ...Say to those who believe not!the Jews!say to
    those who believe not, act according to your power,
    for we too are acting! And wait! For we too, shall
    wait.’ Wait for your graves! Wait for the final
    battle!
    ...…O Jews!… We will act to restore our rights!
    …You are usurpers! Your arrogance will end one of
    these days! …
    … ‘[The Jew’s] aim everywhere is to spread mischief
    through the earth and destroy crops and cattle. Allah
    does not love such mischief.’
    [The Jews] destroyed everything: the crops, the seeds,
    and the birds, to the point that the environment
    itself is oppressed by the Jew! … Allah, deal harshly
    with the Jews and those who aid them…
    Allah, destroy them through their own stratagems!…
    Allah, render us victorious over the Jews and those
    who support them!…”

[PA TV, Sermon televised from protest tent in Gaza,
Feb. 8, 2002]

     6.    HIGHLIGHT ARTICLES ON OUR SITE

PALESTINIAN PEOPLE DO NOT EXIST
A provocative headline? It's more than that.
It's the truth. Truth does not change.
Truth is truth. If something was true 50 years ago,
40 years ago, 30 years ago, it is still true today.
http://christianactionforisrael.org/isreport/july02/exist.html

ON SEPTEMBER 11 WORLD WAR III STARTED
The 11th of September was, if you will, an official
and biting declaration of World War III.
... but only on September 11, was the die cast, and the
true character of the new war was revealed to the eyes
of all.
http://christianactionforisrael.org/isreport/july02/ww3started.html

UN PLANNED STATE OF ISRAEL AS A STILL-BIRTH
There is every indication that the leaders of the
United Nations never intended that the nation of
Israel was to live very long after she declared
her independence May 14, 1948.
http://christianactionforisrael.org/un/stillbirth.html