Good reads

Wayne Johnson cadaobh2@brgnet.com
Sat, 29 Dec 2001 09:12:00 -0500

Yeah!  The whole "Carla" trilogy is great.  Still one of the best reads and
one of the best TV series. (well, two out of three, sadly they skipped the
middle "Schoolboy" story.)

Meanwhile.  For those able to get them, I highly recommend the "Dance to the
Music of Time" by Anthony Powell (pronounced Pole.)  There are, gulp, four
sets of three books, each major part representing summer, spring, etc.  This
is one of the major modern masterpieces (of alliteration???) of English
literature.  Covers the story of one man and his acquaintances for
generations as England goes through two world wars.  Absolutely top drawer
stuff.

Also, there is always the "Good Soldier" by Ford Maddox Ford.  And ANYTHING
by VS Pritchett, a modern master of the short story.  Greattttt prose style.
Lots of short story collections by VSP available.  Next to Hemingway, VSP is
the best in my book.

For that matter, Papa is still interesting reading.  The Nick Carter stories
are still fresh and invigorating.

On the distaff side, if one hasn't read Jamaica Kincaid, one has missed a
wonderful story teller.  I am personally VERY envious of her wonderful
prose.

Cheers and Happy New Year!

Wayne