crazy joe...off wit der heads

telebob x telebob98@hotmail.com
Thu, 20 Dec 2001 04:24:29 +0000

Execution first, trial later
Jon Carroll
Friday, December 14, 2001
©2001 San Francisco Chronicle

OF THE SEVERAL small but real blessings we may be thankful for this season,
one of them is that Joe Lieberman did not make it to the vice presidency. He
is one nutball we definitely do not want a heartbeat away from the
presidency.

(Of course, Dick Cheney is another -- and, by the by, doesn't it irritate
you just a bit that we brilliant lefties forced Cheney to sell all his
Halliburton stock just before the whole company took an Enron-like dive?
Yes, we put big bucks in his pocket. He has a right to gloat.)

I was for Lieberman at the time. I thought he was good for the Jews. Many
members of my family are Jewish, and there is much similarity between the
Irish and the Jews -- we both are persecuted minorities who found succor in
America; we both have deeply troubled homelands.

(The last line of "Annie Hall," the best Jewish-Irish movie ever made,
describes in a nutshell the philosophy that binds our two great peoples: We
not only embrace craziness, we have it for breakfast. I can live with that.)

Anyway, this Lieberman loon. Recently, in his role as a member of the Senate
Armed Services Committee, he expressed outrage that Zacarias Moussaoui, the
French citizen being held in New York on charges that he participated in the
Sept. 11 conspiracy, was going to be tried in federal District Court rather
than going before a military tribunal.

Lieberman's reasons? Those pesky rules of evidence that American courts have
in place. The restrictions placed on the use of hearsay. The certainty that
Moussaoui will have a lawyer, perhaps one of those "flamboyant lawyers" so
feared by John Ashcroft, and that the lawyer might actually mount a defense
of his client.

Lieberman said that Moussaoui was a "big fish" and that trying him in court
was tantamount to letting him "get away."

ONE HATES TO be unpatriotic, but technically Moussaoui is innocent until
proved guilty. He has been charged with the crimes, but we are not sure
whether he committed the crimes. (Writing these columns is getting more like
"Schoolhouse Rock.")

So a public trial is the time-honored, constitutionally mandated way we have
of presenting the evidence against the accused. We use it when people murder
people, when people rape people; we even depend on it for mass murderers
like Timothy McVeigh. It is a form of hysteria to think that somehow it will
be inadequate for this case.

The prosecution is being led by John Ashcroft. Think he's going to plea-
bargain this one down?

Lieberman has apparently already convicted Moussaoui and wants nothing to
stand in the way of his swift execution. He's satisfied with the evidence --
it is unclear how much of it he has seen -- and wants no un-Lieberman civil
liberties to interfere with Lieberman justice being served.

Next up for Joe Lieberman: a rewrite of the Constitution to bring it more in
line with Lieberman principles.

I HAVE A suspicion that these military tribunals may just tiptoe quietly
away, never officially abandoned but never used either. The precise rules
still have not been promulgated. Since Congress has never declared this war
we are fighting, the precedents for the tribunals are a little shaky.

Plus, they are very unpopular with foreign governments, which have been
lectured to for years by the United States about the illegality of star
chamber proceedings. It's gonna be hard to get anyone extradited for a
tribunal -- or, indeed, for any proceeding that involves the death penalty.

Besides, who's it going to be used for? Not John Walker -- he's an American
citizen. Not Moussaoui. Osama bin Laden? A secret trial? That is not the
route to the hearts and minds of 1.2 billion Muslims. So maybe the
Constitution lucked out one more time. Cross your fingers.
And after the trial, maybe we could gather some very nice evidence.

I've been from Tucson to Tucumcari, Tehachapi to jcarroll@sfchronicle.com.

©2001 San Francisco Chronicle   Page D - 20