eating contest at Chester's 40 flavors

Frances Morey frances_morey@excite.com
Sun, 9 Dec 2001 12:02:43 -0800 (PST)

You are right on, Mike, and next door was the famous Bevo's Westside
Taproom, which I thought of as the neighborhood bank because I lived on W.
23 and Rio Grande and it was the closest place I could cash checks to go
spend money elsewhere. That guy, Bennet, who became a Surgeon General under
one of the more conservative presidents, I believe, was one of the people
who hung out there.
Frances

On Thu, 06 Dec 2001 13:46:46 -0600, Michael Eisenstadt wrote:

>  shelton wrote:
>  >
>  > Billy Jim Strong mentions the Green Monster eating contest between the
>  > DAILY TEXAN team and the RANGER team.  I remember it well, having been
>  > present at the event, although thankfully not as a contestant.
>  >
>  > There was an ice cream parlor on the corner of 24th and (Rio Grande?)
>  > which had 36 flavors of ice cream (This shop has been immortalized by
>  > Lieuen Adkins in his poem "Willie and the 36 Flavors).
>
>  As I remember the name of the store was Chester's 40 Flavors
>  it was on 24th at or near Rio Grande.
>
>  Chester was a character, he wanted my sister-in-law (to be)
>  to paint a portrait of him but in the nude. The 40 flavors
>  were all different colors but all tasted the same -- nasty.
>  They may not have been WW II Army surplus but the syrup for
>  Chester-Cola was, it came in big drums with US Army markings on
>  them. I tried Chester-Cola once: unbelievable.
>
>  Chester's girlfriend, a hairdresser lived in the same rooming
>  house as my sister-in-law, also on 24th. This was an old frame
>  house with a beauty parlour on the first floor. Anybody
>  else remember? Carolyn, you remember all this doncha?

"The Skinny on Weight Loss: One Woman's
True Journey to Fat and Back" by Frances Morey
Order online <www.xlibris.com/bookstore>
or by phone at 1-888-795-4274 Extension #276

Send a friend your Buddy Card and stay in contact always with Excite Messenger
http://messenger.excite.com