Advice which probably I'm unqualified to give --

Jim Strong strongjim@yahoo.com
Tue, 4 Dec 2001 06:42:58 -0800 (PST)

Or, Roger, you could try a link link like:
http://www.wordserf.co.uk/mh/vaxhackpro.html
But be VERY CAREFUL what you click on there and make
sure you are using Zone Alarm or Black Ice when you
visit.
Billy Jim
-------------

--- Roger Baker <rcbaker@eden.infohwy.com> wrote:
> -- but I'll still give it anyhow.  So live with it.
>

> To be specific, my advice is on fun interesting and
> informative computer
> links.
>
> The two premier public  links for hackers and
> techno-junkies are
> probably "The Register" at
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/      and "Slashdot" at
>
> http://slashdot.org/
>
> The Register has a dry cynical sense of humor and
> aims to keep you
> well-informed on the latest technical advances in
> the computer field by
> informed insiders. And of course it hates Microsoft.
>  But it is fun to
> read by computer savvy laypersons and especially if
> you're heavy into
> computers its required reading to keep up with
> developments and gossip
> and financial stuff dealing with the cyberworld.
>
> On the other hand, Slashdot caters to a broader
> audience who loves to
> deal not only with computers but amazing science and
> technology
> developments of a broader sort. Interesting/vital
> news for nerds as they
> describe their range of topics. And of course they
> hate Microsoft. Their
> strong feature is that they have open forums on each
> of their articles
> where their informed friends weigh in and discuss
> pros and cons and
> angles that the main article may have missed. Plus
> they have a search
> engine that lets you keep up with a vast selection
> of past topics --
> perhaps stuff like informed discussion on the new
> Ginger/segway vehicle
> offered as a fantastic new high tech alternative to
> walking around.
>
> And finally a very good link for those who want to
> understand how modern
> computer programming is done
> according to its philosophy and approach without
> actually knowing
> anything much about programming.
> (Hint; Unix rules the serious professional computer
> world unchallenged,
> which is one good reason why everyone hates
> Microsoft and is drifting
> toward Linux, or at least the Unix-based systems,
> now even Apple with
> its new Operating System X).  If you were a newbie
> programmer and wanted
> to save yourself a lot of effort, you should
> probably read this to get
> started and find out that the world's largest
> treasure trove of
> already-written, free open-source computer code is
> available at
> "sourceforge". All you really need to do is to learn
> the technique of
> gluing pieces of open source code together with
> Python and Perl , or "C"
> getting down and dirty if needed, to build your own
> programs -- sort of
> like using tinkertoys or erector sets. So here is
> [...]

=====
The peace of the cosmos is infinite motion