Fw: BUSH TO NOMINATE "BIBLICAL LAW" ACTIVIST TO POST

Jim Baldauf jfbaldauf@prodigy.net
Sat, 1 Dec 2001 21:59:42 -0600

Unbelievable! The prez is about to nominate a guy who
makes Falwell and Robertson look like liberals. He's on
the 5-man board of American Vision which :

>has described democracy as "the first step toward fascism,"<

>wrote that women fall between men and animals in the "God-ordained order."

>opposed Sandra Day O'Connor's nomination to the Supreme Court because,
in their view, it is wrong for a woman to sit in judgment over men.<

>referred to openly gay Rep. Tammy Baldwin (D-Wis.) as a "lesbian
Congressthing."<

>describes Judaism as a "demonic religion."<

The nominee has served on the board since at least 1994, but told The Wall
Street
Journal that he was "unaware of American Vision's extreme views."

Sounds like one of them Talibanians!
jb

> Subject:  BUSH PREPARED TO NOMINATE 'BIBLICAL LAW' ACTIVIST J. ROBERT
                 BRAME TO NATIONAL LABOR RELATIONS BOARD
> Date:  29 Nov 2001 23:20:09 -0600
> From:  "AUactivist" <AUactivist@au.org>
> Newsgroups:  misc.activism.progressive
>

> For Immediate Release
> November 29, 2001
>
> Americans United for Separation of Church and State
> Contact: Joseph Conn or Rob Boston
> 202-466-3234 telephone
> 202-466-2587 fax
> http://www.au.org
>
> BUSH PREPARED TO NOMINATE 'BIBLICAL LAW' ACTIVIST J. ROBERT BRAME TO
> NATIONAL LABOR RELATIONS BOARD
>
> BRAME HAS TIES TO GROUPS THAT OPPOSE WOMEN'S RIGHTS, REJECT DEMOCRACY AND
> BELIEVE GAYS SHOULD BE EXECUTED
>
> According to media sources, President George W. Bush appears ready to
> nominate J. Robert Brame III to serve as a member of the National Labor
> Relations Board (NLRB), despite Brame's long-standing leadership of
> religious-political extremist groups on the farthest fringes of the
> Religious Right.
>
> Brame has served as a top official of American Vision, an Atlanta-based
> group that seeks to replace America's secular democracy with a "Christian"
> regime based on "biblical law," including enforcement of the harsh legal
> code of the Old Testament. He has also served as an advisor to the
Plymouth
> [...]
>
> On democracy: The June 1999 issue of AV's Biblical Worldview magazine
> described democracy as "the first step toward fascism."
>
> On women's role in families: American Vision insists that the Bible
requires
> male leadership in society. In the September 1999 issue of Biblical
> Worldview, an AV author wrote that women fall between men and animals in
the
> "God-ordained order." AV places "God above all, man joyfully under God,
> woman lovingly under man, and the animals at bottom." AV has also said
that
> women should not serve in the military.
>
> On women in the judiciary: The Plymouth Rock Foundation, which Brame has
> worked with through service on its advisory council, opposed Sandra Day
> O'Connor's nomination to the Supreme Court because, in their view, it is
> wrong for a woman to sit in judgment over men.
>
> On homosexuality and the death penalty: Reconstructionist groups such as
> those Brame is involved with maintain that under biblical law, homosexuals
> must be executed. According to one American Vision text, "The law that
> requires the death penalty for homosexual acts effectually drives the
> perversion of homosexuality underground, back to the closet, to the dark
> realm of shameful activity." Also, in October 2000, an AV publication
called
> homosexuality "a sin worthy of death."
>
> On gays in Congress: In the September 1999 issue of the group's Biblical
> Worldview, an AV author referred to openly gay Rep. Tammy Baldwin (D-Wis.)
> as a "lesbian Congressthing."
>
> On non-Christian dissenters: American Vision argues that once its
worldview
> is enacted as government policy, dissenters would have to submit to its
> draconian version of Christianity. "Non-Christians would not be forced to
> become Christians, but they would have to obey laws that came from the
> Bible," according to one AV text. "This would mean that homosexuality and
> abortion, for example, could not be claimed as 'civil rights.' They would
be
> crimes."
>
> On Judaism: American Vision sells a book titled, "The Days of Vengeance,"
> which says, "The god of Judaism is the devil." The book also describes
> Judaism as a "demonic religion."
>
> On American history: AV materials take a revisionist approach to history,
> insisting that the United States was founded as a "Christian nation." In
one
> book, AV asserts that the Constitution was designed to afford protection
> Christianity only and not other faiths. "The First Amendment had the
> specific purpose of excluding all rivalry among Christian denominations,"
> the group says. "Other competing religions were not protected by the First
> Amendment."
>
> "Brame makes Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson look liberal," said AU's
Lynn,
> who wrote to Bush in October, urging him not to nominate such a divisive
> figure to the NLRB.
>
> Concluded Lynn, "The groups Brame is associated with seek to impose their
> version of 'biblical law' on all of us, and they want to use the
government
> to further those goals. These views are so counter to American ideals that
> it is difficult to imagine a proponent of this radical philosophy serving
in
> any important public trust."
>
> Americans United is a religious liberty watchdog group based in
Washington,