[MyAppleMenu] Feb 28, 2012

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Feb 28 18:59:00 EST 2012

**** How To: Create Your Own iPhone Ringtones ****
<http://arstechnica.com/apple/guides/2012/02/how-to-create-your-own-iphone-ringtones.ars?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss>
Jacqui Cheng, Ars Technica

> Apple doesn't hide the fact you can make your own ringtones for free, but it's certainly not widely advertised. Plenty of iPhone users are still unaware how easy it is to create your own ringtones out of music you already own (or even music you create). Whether you like The Beatles, Rush, Beyoncé, or Vivaldi, you can make ringtones to your heart's content without having to plunk down a dollar every time you want to switch things up.

**** The Nitty Gritty Dirty Of Mac Preference Files And How To Clean Or Delete Them ****
<http://noodlemac.com/2012/02/the-nitty-gritty-dirty-of-mac-preference-files-and-how-to-clean-or-deletethem/>
NoodleMac

**** Will Apple Pull A Siri Competitor From The App Store? ****
<http://www.tuaw.com/2012/02/27/will-apple-pull-a-siri-competitor-from-the-app-store/>
Mel Martin, TUAW

**** Fixing Find My Mac ****
<http://tidbits.com/article/12817>
Michael E. Cohen, TidBITS

> What did I learn? Nothing that I didn’t already know, but I repeat it here because it’s an important lesson I relearned: when you see an error message and you aren’t sure what it means, it only takes a few moments to do a Web search for that message. In a large number of cases, you’ll find others bedeviled with the same problem who have found a solution.

**** Apple Introduces Developer ID, Laying Groundwork For Gatekeeper ****
<http://www.tuaw.com/2012/02/27/apple-introduces-developer-id-laying-groundwork-for-gatekeeper/>
Mike Schramm, TUAW

> Apple sent out an email today asking developers in its various programs to go ahead and get their applications ready with the Developer ID program, which is basically a new form of certifying apps that run on your Mac or iOS device.

**** iMac Wi-Fi Update 1.0 ****
<http://tidbits.com/article/12821?rss>
Agen G. N. Schmitz, TidBITS

> The update resolves an issue that can prevent an iMac from automatically connecting to a known Wi-Fi network after waking from sleep.

**** Puzzling Through Mac Replacement Possibilities ****
<http://tidbits.com/article/12816?rss>
Steve McCabe, TidBITS

> All that said, I can’t ignore the allure of an elegant and inexpensive repurposing of the machines I have, and bringing the Mac mini into service as my desktop Mac currently feels like the best option. But I’ve had so much fun contemplating all the possibilities that I wanted to throw the entire puzzle open to others as well. What would you do if you were in my shoes, with my needs and limited budget?

**** Arrested For Breaking The Law Of Large Numbers ****
<http://www.leancrew.com/all-this/2012/02/arrested-for-breaking-the-law-of-large-numbers/>
And Now It's All This

**** Linux Computer The Size Of A Thumb Drive Now Available For Preorder ****
<http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/2012/02/linux-computer-the-size-of-a-thumb-drive-now-available-for-preorder.ars?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss>
Ryan Paul, Ars Technica

> FXI is preparing to launch the Cotton Candy, a tiny computer that looks like a USB thumb drive. The device, which can run either Ubuntu or Android 4.0, has a dual-core 1.2GHz ARM Cortex-A9 CPU, 1GB of RAM, and a Mali 400MP GPU that allows it to decode high-definition video.

**** Whole Foods Prototype Puts Kinect On Shopping Cart, Follows People Around Store ****
<http://www.geekwire.com/2012/microsoft-kinect-shopping-cart-foods-prototype>
Todd Bishop, Geekwire

> The quest for a high-tech “shopping cart of the future” is nothing new, but Whole Foods is planning to test a new spin on the concept, using Microsoft’s Kinect sensor for Windows. The motorized cart identifies a shopper with a loyalty card, follows the shopper around the store, scans items as they’re placed inside, marks them off the shopping list, and even checks the shopper out in the end.

**** The Five Facets Of Love ****
<http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/poem/2012/02/_the_five_facets_of_love_by_j_allyn_rosser_.html>
J. Allyn Rosser, Slate

**** Paramour ****
<http://www.pshares.org/read/article-detail.cfm?intArticleID=9548>
Jennifer Haigh, Ploughshares

**** I Was A Warehouse Wage Slave ****
<http://motherjones.com/politics/2012/02/mac-mcclelland-free-online-shipping-warehouses-labor>
Mac McClelland, Mother Jones

> Several months prior, I'd reported on an Ohio warehouse where workers shipped products for online retailers under conditions that were surprisingly demoralizing and dehumanizing, even to someone who's spent a lot of time working in warehouses, which I have. And then my editors sat me down. "We want you to go work for Amalgamated Product Giant Shipping Worldwide Inc.," they said. I'd have to give my real name and job history when I applied, and I couldn't lie if asked for any specifics. (I wasn't.) But I'd smudge identifying details of people and the company itself. Anyway, to do otherwise might give people the impression that these conditions apply only to one warehouse or one company. Which they don't.

**** City Confidential ****
<http://www.weeklystandard.com/articles/city-confidential_631892.html>
Ann Marlowe, The Weekly Standard

> <i>And under the influence of the cradlelike rocking of the train, your carefully crafted persona begins to slip away. The superego dissolves as your mind begins to wander aimlessly over your cares and your dreams; or better yet, it drifts into an ambient hypnosis, where even cares and dreams recede and the peaceful silence of the cosmos pervades. It happens to all of us. It’s just a question of how many stops it takes.</i>

> That is Amor Towles on the experience of taking the New York subway, a couple of pages into <i>Rules of Civility</i>, and a sample of why this is one of the finest first novels of recent years, simultaneously a delicious historical fiction of the 1930s and a timeless coming-of-age story of a circle of gifted young people in Manhattan. It is also a highly philosophical novel, whose gravitas grows and deepens as the plot progresses.

**** Baey Yam Keng Apologises For Comments Over Foreign Student's Remark ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1185817/1/.html>
Hoe Yeen Nie, Channel NewsAsia

> "In trying to give the benefit of doubt to what the student said, and attempting to soothe the hard feelings of some Singaporeans, I was accused of siding with a foreigner and not standing up for fellow Singaporeans. It was never my intention to undermine Singaporeans but to those whom my words have hurt, I am sorry," said Mr Baey.

> But he also noted the frustration among Singaporeans on being squeezed out by foreigners, whether it's for seats in the train, or for places in schools.

**** Representation Is A Cardinal Principle In Our Democracy, Too ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC120228-0000057/Representation-is-a-cardinal-principle-in-our-democracy,-too>
Eugene Tan Kheng Boon, Nominated Member of Parliament, Today

> Article 49 (1) of our Constitution provides that an election "shall" be called when an elected parliamentary seat is vacated. The Parliamentary Elections Act (PEA) provides for the same. In both cases, the very use of "shall" (rather than "may") indicates, prima facie, the mandatory nature of a by-election.

> It is correct that the Prime Minister has the prerogative on the timing, as the Constitution and PEA are silent on this point. However, Section 52 of the Interpretation Act states: "Where no time is prescribed or allowed within which anything shall be done, that thing shall be done with all convenient speed and as often as the prescribed occasion arises."

> […]

> All said, Mr Hri Kumar's obfuscation suggests that the PAP is more concerned with the by-election's outcome than with enhancing our system of parliamentary democracy, giving effect to the constitutional right to vote and the rule of law.

**** Some Netizens Slam New Ad For Social Workers ****
<http://news.insing.com/tabloid/some-netizens-slam-new-ad-for-social-workers/id-e8333f00>
Zenzen, InSing

> Some netizens are outraged over an ad for social workers that appears to label the disabled as "Hopeless". The ad features a social worker helping amputees to play ball, and is captioned with the word "Hopeless" in large font, followed by the words, "if not for Ruth Lim, a Professional Social Worker".

> The offending ad has since gone viral on the internet, with some slamming it for being "rude", "thoughtless", "distasteful", "insensitive" and "downright insulting", among other things.

Either the people behind this ad are a bunch of idiots, or they cannot differentiate between "hopeless" and "hopelessness." Either way, it's horrible.

**** Food For Thought ****
<http://singaporedesk.blogspot.com/2012/02/food-for-thought.html>
Singapore Notes

> Here's the worry factor: NTUC Foodfare CEO Perry Ong, who is also in the same panel chaired by Ms Chew, is already eyeing the profit opportunity.

NTUC Foodfare, it seems to me, is one of the most useless NTUC co-operative. I'm not even sure whether keeping prices low is one of their mission.

**** More Can Be Done To Ensure Greater National Cohesion: Sylvia Lim ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1185772/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

> Ms Lim said a permanent underclass should never be allowed to form - the poor have to be empowered and their wages raised.

> […] She also called for a rebalance in family responsibility when it comes to healthcare financing.

**** Josephine Teo On ERP Charges ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1185767/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

> Minister of State for Transport Josephine Teo said in Parliament on Tuesday that it's possible for Electronic Road Pricing (ERP) charges to fall to zero. But she said this can happen only if traffic speeds are consistently above the optimal threshold.

Quick, everyone drive fast fast. :)

**** About 1,200 Singaporeans Renounce Citizenship Annually In Last Five Years ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1185735/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

> Deputy prime minister Teo Chee Hean: "All Singapore citizens and permanent residents who own HDB flats will have to sell their properties if they renounce their citizenship or cease to be permanent residents. There are no exceptions to this rule."

**** Speaker Of Parliament Formally Announces Vacancy Of Hougang Seat ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1185725/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

**** Is This Why Healthcare Is So Expensive In Singapore? ****
<http://www.yoursdp.org/index.php/news/singapore/5159-is-this-why-healthcare-is-so-expoensive-in-singapore>
Singaore Democratic Party

> The PAP treats medical care like a commodity. It is unfortunate that Singaporeans have grown accustomed to such an arrangement and accept it as the way things should be.

> But that's not the way things should be. Healthcare is not a commodity. It is a right. Medical treatment is not a product that we buy as we do a handbag or a watch - the richer you are, the better quality product you can buy. And if you are poor and cannot afford it, too bad, you don't get treatment.

**** New Hawker Centre Philosophy ****
<http://mysingaporenews.blogspot.com/2012/02/new-hawker-centre-philosophy.html>
Chua Chin Leng, My Singapore News

**** 玛丽蒙台被征用排屋屋主: 土管局剥夺居民上诉权利 ****
<http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp120228_009.shtml>
魏瑜嶙, 联合早报

> 不满上诉申请还未获得审理就必须先签赔偿同意书,玛丽蒙台排屋屋主觉得土地管理局的做法有欠公允,“剥夺了居民上诉的权利”。

**** Singapore: A Country Where Risks Are Socialized And Profits Are Privatized ****
<http://www.sgpolitics.net/?p=7377>
Ng E-Jay, Sgpolitics.net

> In Singapore, public transport users are made to shoulder the risks when transport facilities fail. They may have to incur hefty costs and waste precious time finding alternative transport, and even their health and lives may be in jeopardy because the transport operators don’t seem to have sound safety measures in place in the event of breakdown.

> When tax payers foot the tab for the building of national infrastructure and shoulder the risk when things go awry, yet the profits accrued from the operation of these services is not returned to the people, then a state of economic and social injustice sets in.

**** OpenNet In A Tangle Over NGNBN Roll-out ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC120228-0000062/OpenNet-in-a-tangle-over-NGNBN-roll-out>
Tan Weizhen, Today

> While the 95-per-cent target is still on track - as of last month, the coverage was more than 86 per cent - concerns over operational issues have emerged and these were laid out by the IDA in a press conference yesterday: Among other things, the excessive waiting time for activation of fibre services, unsatisfactory response to increasing demand, delays in installations in commercial buildings and unreasonable pricing.

**** Boys' Town Running Out Of Time To Raise S$5m In Construction Money ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC120228-0000039/Boys-Town-running-out-of-time-to-raise-S$5m-in-construction-money>
Ng Jing Yng, Today

> Should it fail to raise the outstanding amount over the next nine months, it will have to borrow the money - and put on hold new programmes and plans to increase its intake while intensifying fund-raising efforts, Boys' Town executive director Irene Loi told Today.

**** Use Technology To Tackle Traffic Violations ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC120228-0000045/Use-technology-to-tackle-traffic-violations>
Raymund Koh, Today

> I am puzzled why the Land Transport Authority is not harnessing radio-frequency identification (RFID) technology for enforcement against motorcycle riding on pavements and bus lane violations.

My guess: cost.

**** A Steampunk Anthology From Singapore — With No Misery Allowed ****
<http://io9.com/5888772/a-steampunk-anthology-from-singapore--with-no-misery-allowed>
Jess Nevins, Io9

> Literary steampunk from Singapore? Obviously, there are a number of science fiction writers in Singapore and more generally in Southeast Asia, but nearly all of the steampunk short stories and novels published so far are from Western writers. I thought <i>The Steampowered Globe</i> would be an excellent opportunity to discover how Southeast Asian authors viewed steampunk and wrote it, and what the differences might be between steampunk written in the West, from descendants of the colonizers, and steampunk written in the East, from descendants of the colonized.

**** MND Refutes Report Over Suspension Of Military Exchanges With Singapore ****
<http://www.chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/national/national-news/2012/02/28/333025/MND-refutes.htm>
The China Post

> The Ministry of National Defense (MND) said yesterday that a local media report that Singapore has suspended bilateral military exchanges with Taiwan is untrue. The ministry's spokesman Major Gen. Luo Shou-he commented that it is normal to re-arrange some activities to meet the needs of both sides.

> According to United Daily News yesterday, the Singaporean government suspended bilateral military cooperation with Taiwan to show its strong dissatisfaction after a recent visit by Minster of National Defense Kao Hua-chu .

**** Seriously SMRT, What On Earth Is Going On? ****
<http://utwt.blogspot.com/2012/02/seriously-smrt-what-on-earth-is-going.html>
Under The Willow Tree