[MyAppleMenu] Oct 28, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Oct 28 18:59:00 EDT 2011

**** 10.7: Command+Tab Now Stops At The End Of The Bezel <http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20111022204925950>
Macworld

To loop back around, you need to release Tab and press it again.

**** The Problem With Lion’s Duplicate Command <http://tidbits.com/article/12593?rss>
Jeff Carlson, TidBITS

I will admit that duplicating a document and then saving it later does make some conceptual sense. But why is there the delay between creating the duplicate and saving it to disk? Why doesn’t Duplicate open the new window and automatically, quickly, let you choose how to save it?

**** Apple's ALAC Codec Is Now Open Source <http://www.tuaw.com/2011/10/27/apples-alac-codec-is-now-open-source/>
Chris Rawson, TUAW

"Apple Lossless Audio Codec sources are available under the Apache license," according to Mac OS Forge, and the project "contains the sources for the ALAC encoder and decoder."

**** Daily Mac App: Trillian <http://www.tuaw.com/2011/10/27/daily-mac-app-trillian/>
Megan Lavey-Heaton, TUAW

If you need a solid text-based IM client with updates handled through the Mac App Store and syncing, Trillian is a good way to go.

**** Import Camera Videos Directly Into iMovie '11 <http://www.macworld.com/article/163004/2011/10/import_camera_videos_directly_into_imovie_11.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Jeff Carlson, Macworld

**** Apple's New Siri Could Get You Into Hot Water Behind The Wheel. <http://www.mercurynews.com/business/ci_19208500?source=rss>
Patrick May, San Jose Mercury News

While Apple's (AAPL) new digital darling is quite adept at putting your calls through or setting up lunch appointments, Siri still requires some good old-fashioned finger-work on your part. For starters, activating her requires you to push the iPhone's home button, which might worry some law-abiding motorists. But California Highway Patrol spokesman D.J. Sarabia says the problem with cell-phone legislation is that you can ask "ten of us in law enforcement and you'll get ten slightly different interpretations. I'd say that holding down the start button for two seconds until she comes on probably doesn't violate the law. But then it's one of those subjective things that in the end a judge will have to rule on.''

In the meantime, when in doubt, keep your mobile conversations with Siri to a minimum, says Sgt. Trent Cross with the California Highway Patrol. "You shouldn't be using Siri or playing with your lap dog or putting on makeup while you're driving," says Cross. "Lives are lost when people get distracted. That's why we highly discourage drivers from doing anything except driving while they're driving."

**** Siri Behind The Wheel <http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/technology/2011/10/texting_while_driving_laws_are_unclear_inconsistent_and_spottily.html>
Farhad Manjoo, Slate

Texting-while-driving laws are unclear, inconsistent, and spottily enforced. Here’s how to fix them.

**** Apple's Tongue-tied Siri Faces 'Singlish' Rival <http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5igaEbfs5KLqoW1fKZiEXcr5Cibow?docId=CNG.e6ee2abbf277f4249e6d667612b5cf57.201>
AFP

Singapore's SingTel has developed an application to rival the voice-activated Siri on the iPhone 4S that is sure to go down well in the island state -- because it can understand "Singlish".

**** Facebook-Led Consortium Plans To Remake Big Computing <http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/10/27/facebook-led-consortium-plans-to-remake-big-computing/?partner=rss&emc=rss>
Quentin Hardy, New York Times

A consortium of technology heavyweights led by Facebook wants to fill the world with enormous low-cost computing centers, using the same collaborative techniques that created an explosion of software development over the past decade.

**** Is Mental Time Travel What Makes Us Human? <http://www.the-tls.co.uk/tls/public/article807136.ece>
Barbara J. King, The Times Literary Supplement

Mental time travel and theory of mind, Corballis believes, are two uniquely human ways of thinking that propelled our species to heights above all others, thanks to what is called recursion.

**** Tomato Pies, 25 Cents <http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poem/240986>
Grace Cavalieri, Poetry Foundation

**** How The Joy Of Sex Was Illustrated <http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-15309357>
Cordelia Hebblethwaite, BBC

Forty years ago, a London publisher was working on a groundbreaking sex manual - a "gourmet guide" to sexual pleasure, with copious and detailed illustrations. But how could this be done tastefully and legally?

**** Taoist Mission Supports Preservation Of Cemetery <http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC111028-0000176/Taoist-Mission-supports-preservation-of-cemetery>
Lee Zhiwang, Taoist Mission (Singapore), Today

We believe it is important to preserve the cemetery because it contains a rich heritage, which would be invaluable to Singaporeans as a whole. Preserving it is also an exercise of filial piety to our pioneers, who have contributed enormously to nation building.

**** Provide Electricity Supply Points In MacRitchie <http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC111028-0000190/Provide-electricity-supply-points-in-MacRitchie>
Chin Kee Thou, Today

The humming of the generator engines and the loud music create an unbearable din, sometimes from an early hour, to the chagrin of other park users.

Really, in Singapore, there's no place left where one can seek silence. Not even in the libraries.

**** Essential To Have Enough Savings For Medical Expenses: MOH <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_727919.html>
Bey Mui Leng, Ministry Of Health, Straits Times

While we understand the financial strains faced by low-income earners, and there are schemes to help them, it is important that Singaporeans have sufficient savings for their medical expenses, especially during old age when they stop working.

For the same reason, the Ministry of Health sets a limit on Medisave withdrawal for approved hospitalisation and procedures, so that Singaporeans do not prematurely exhaust their Medisave monies and have little or none left for their old age.

**** GIC Disclosed More Information In Reports Over 4 Years, Ng Says <http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-10-27/gic-disclosed-more-information-in-reports-over-4-years-ng-says.html>
Sanat Vallikappen, Bloomberg

**** Bangkok Floods: Impact On Food Security In Singapore <http://kementah.blogspot.com/2011/10/bangkok-floods-impact-on-food-security.html>
David Boey, Senang Diri

It would be instructive to see how the 2011 rice comms plans will change (or perhaps stay unchanged?) from the 2008 incarnation.

**** Curbing Problem Gambling In Singapore: Inadequate Present Strategies <http://guanyinmiao.wordpress.com/2011/10/28/curbing-problem-gambling-in-singapore-inadequate-present-strategies/>
Guanyinmiao's Musings

**** Regulating The Internet Chatter In Singapore? <http://dotseng.wordpress.com/2011/10/27/regulating-the-internet-chatter-in-singapore/>
Dotseng

**** Why Is Yale Outsourcing A Campus To Singapore? <http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2011/10/why-is-yale-outsourcing-a-campus-to-singapore/247463/#.Tqn9bcXU_B1.twitter>
Eric Weinberger, The Atlantic

But setting the right conditions for academic freedom to flourish is something Singapore and other nations must do on their own. NYU, Yale, and the others can't do it for them, any more than U.S. military advisors have been able to create a foreign fighting force fit for a democracy in countries that lack democratic values. As Mark Oppenheimer has written, if you want liberal education, "Actually, it's not that hard.... Just change your laws to allow complete freedom of expression." And so let Singapore build a university Singapore Airlines can be proud of.

**** 这不也是新币吗? <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/fk/fk111028_007.shtml>
纨纳, 联合早报

曾几何时,新移民也开始嫌弃起我们的五分钱币了?

**** Punggol Waterway <http://notabilia.wordpress.com/2011/10/27/punggol-waterway/>
Notabilia

The waterway didn’t captivate me as much as the landscape surrounding Punggol New Town, a sprawling housing estate on the edges of the island. We saw acres and acres of lush, tropical secondary forest and brilliant gas flares from nearby oil refineries. (This is Singapore, after all.)

**** Old Buildings: Learn How S'pore Saved Buildings Above MRT Line <http://www.nst.com.my/nst/articles/18bngl1/Article/>
Lau Bing, New Straits Times

This is what Singapore has been doing to keep traditions, cultures and history alive in the republic, that is, by restoring and refurbishing such buildings.

**** In Defence Of Chen Show Mao's Speech <http://reveyel.blogspot.com/2011/10/in-defence-of-chen-show-maos-speech.html>
Self-Contained

**** Two Plead Guilty In Singapore’s Biggest Public Fraud Since 1995 <http://www.businessweek.com/news/2011-10-27/two-plead-guilty-in-singapore-s-biggest-public-fraud-since-1995.html>
Andrea Tan, Bloomberg

Koh Seah Wee and Lim Chai Meng pleaded guilty for their roles in cheating Singapore government agencies of S$12.5 million ($10 million) in the city’s biggest public-sector fraud since 1995.

**** Regular <http://piaroh.wordpress.com/2011/10/28/regular/>
Words Of The Cze

**** East Coast GRC, Another Aljunied Déjà Vu? <http://newasiarepublic.com/?p=34276>
Chan Jia Hui, New Asia Republic

Lim’s slogan of “cheaper, better and faster” unfortunately for him resonated with the frustrations of Singaporeans arising from stagnation of wages especially for the lower income group attributed to cheaper foreign workers to a more crowded environment when we import more of such foreign labour.

Thus, it is likely that the Workers’ Party could have seen Lim as a weak link at East Coast GRC, that its secretary-general, Low, saw it fit to target him in a speech that involved the contentious issue of ministerial salaries.

**** SMRT Posts 26 Pct Fall In Q2 Net Profit, Outlook Bleak <http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/10/28/smrt-idUSL4E7LS17320111028>
Charmian Kok, Reuters

Singapore public transport operator SMRT Corp Ltd posted on Friday a 26 percent drop in second quarter net profit due to higher energy and staff costs, and said full-year earnings may fall.