[MyAppleMenu] Oct 19, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Oct 19 18:59:01 EDT 2011

**** Fantastical 1.1 Offers Editing, Notes, Full iCloud Support <http://www.tuaw.com/2011/10/18/fantastical-1-1-offers-editing-notes-full-icloud-support/>
Dave Caolo, TUAW

Users can now edit events and notes within Fantastical, and changes are immediately synchronized with iCloud.

**** Promising Prospect: RestoreMeNot <http://www.macworld.com/article/163095/2011/10/promising_prospect_restoremenot.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Dan Frakes, Macworld

This free System Preferences pane, currently in beta, lets you easily disable the Resume feature for particular applications. Just click the Add (+) button, choose the application to be added, and click Open. If the chosen app is currently running, quit it and then launch it again for the change to take effect. It’s that simple.

**** Using Apple's Mobile AirPort Utility <http://www.macworld.com/article/163084/2011/10/mobile_airport_utility.html>
Glenn Fleishman, Macworld

**** Apple To Close Some Retail Stores Wednesday During Jobs Memorial <http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2011/10/18/apple-to-close-some-retail-stores-wednesday-during-jobs-memorial-sources/>
Ian Sherr, Wall Street Journal

Apple plans to close some of its retail stores for at least an hour Wednesday, according to two people familiar with the matter, a gesture that coincides with the company’s planned celebration of co-founder Steve Jobs’s life at its headquarters.

**** All-time Mac, iPad Sales Help Apple Turn In Record Quarter <http://www.macworld.com/article/163101/2011/10/record_mac_ipad_sales_help_apple_turn_in_record_quarter.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Philip Michaels, Macworld

The company announced Tuesday that it logged $28.27 billion in revenue and $6.62 billion in net profit for the three-month period ended on September 24. That’s an increase of 38 percent in revenue and 54 percent in profit from the year-ago numbers.

Wall Street may be less thrilled: analysts were looking for the company to post earnings of $7.39 a share and revenue of $29.69 billion, according to Thomson Reuters. Still, Apple’s results came in ahead of the forecast chief financial officer Peter Oppenheimer offered in July, when he told analysts to expect earnings of $5.50 per share and revenues of $25 billion during the fourth quarter.

**** Apple Still Working On Allowing Merging Of Apple IDs <http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/18/apple-still-working-on-allowing-merging-of-apple-ids/>
Eric Slivka, MacRumors

But those still hoping for a merging solution may be able to continue holding out hope, as Tim Cook appears to have reached out again, this time in a phone call to a customer in Luxembourg, once again noting that Apple is working on the issue.

**** How To Get Siri To Correctly Pronounce Your Name Or Call You Something Else <http://www.tipb.com/2011/10/17/daily-tip-siri-correctly-pronounce/?utm_source=loopinsight.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+loopinsight%2FKqJb+%28The+Loop%29>
TiPb

**** Tim Cook "Not Religious" About Holding Cash; 66% Of Apple's $81B In Cash Is Held Overseas <http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/18/tim-cook-not-religious-about-holding-cash-66-of-apples-81b-in-cash-is-held-overseas/>
Jordan Golson, MacRumors

**** iCloud On The Desktop: A Look At OS X 10.7.2 And iCloud For Windows <http://www.anandtech.com/show/4959/icloud-on-the-desktop-a-look-at-os-x-1072-and-icloud-for-windows>
Andrew Cunningham, AnandTech

**** NetNewsWire 3.3 Gets Lion Friendly <http://fairerplatform.com/2011/10/netnewswire-3-3-gets-lion-friendly/>
FairerPlatform

**** Text Tips In OS X Lion <http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-20122010-263/text-tips-in-os-x-lion/?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=MacFixIt>
Topher Kessler, CNET

**** After A Rare Miss, Apple Predicts Record iPhone, iPad Sales And Hints At A $40 Billion Quarter <http://techcrunch.com/2011/10/18/apples-insanely-great-q1-2012/>
MG Siegler, TechCrunch

Yes, Apple missed with their earnings today. It’s the first time in a long time that has happened. Some are suggesting that hasn’t happened since 2002. That’s big news. But it’s also masking even bigger news: Apple’s expectations for next quarter.

**** Apple Posts "Remembering Steve" Tributes From Fans <http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/19/apple-posts-remembering-steve-tributes/>
Arnold Kim, MacRumors

Apple has updated their Steve Jobs page on their site to reflect many memories, thoughts and feelings that people have submitted about Steve Jobs since his passing.

**** Put A Whiteboard On Your Laptop With DrawTop <http://www.tuaw.com/2011/10/19/put-a-whiteboard-on-your-laptop-with-drawtop/>
Mike Schramm, TUAW

**** Chronos SOHO Organizer 9 Keeps Track Of Contacts, Appointments, Bits Of Data <http://www.macworld.com/article/162610/2011/10/chronos_soho_organizer_9_keeps_track_of_contacts_appointments_bits_of_data.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Brendan Wilhide, Macworld

SOHO Organizer 9 is a useful tool for any small business looking to consolidate paperwork or information in one place. It may not include all the bells and whistles of more expensive organization software but SOHO Organizer 9 strikes a useful balance between features and easy-of-use.

**** We Taught Siri To Add Tasks To Remember The Milk <http://blog.rememberthemilk.com/2011/10/we-taught-siri-to-add-tasks-to-remember-the-milk/>
Remember The Milk Blog

Joshua Schnell, Macgasm

**** Apple Sneaks In GLONASS Location Support On iPhone 4S <http://thenextweb.com/apple/2011/10/19/apple-sneaks-in-glonass-location-support-on-iphone-4s/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TheNextWeb+%28The+Next+Web+All+Stories%29>
Aayush Arya, The Next Web

GLONASS stands for Globalnaya Navigazionnaya Sputnikovaya Sistema (or “Global Navigation Satellite System” when translated from Russian) and is Russia’s alternative to the United States’ Global Positioning System (GPS). Its network comprises of 24 satellites that achieved full global coverage as recently as the beginning of this month.

**** New Mac OS X Malware Disables Apple's Malware Protection <http://www.zdnet.com/blog/security/new-mac-os-x-malware-disables-apples-malware-protection/9665>
Dancho Danchev, ZDNet

Security researchers from F-Secure have spotted a Mac OS X malware that disables Snow Leopard’s XProtect.plist antivirus signatures updates.

**** After Hiding, He Becomes A Celebrity <http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/19/books/there-but-for-the-by-ali-smith-review.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss>
Charles McGrath, New York Times

Brooke, delighted with language and exploring all its possibilities, is a helpless punster. (An artifact becomes an “arty-fact”; the Greenwich Observatory is an “Observe a Tory.”) So is Ms. Smith. Just four pages into “There but for the,” the phrase “to rain blows” turns into “somewhere over the rainblow,” and the whole book is shot through with wordplay — rhymes, puns, literary references, snatches of poetry and pop songs, careful parsings of those four title words — in a way that almost seems tic-like, as if Ms. Smith couldn’t quite help herself.

Yet there is a thematic point to all this showing off, or to most of it, anyway. “There but for the” is ultimately a book about loss and retention: about what we forget and what we remember, about the people who pass through our lives and what bits of them cling to our consciousness.

**** Government Must Be Of The People, Not Just For The People <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/10/government-must-be-of-the-people-not-just-for-the-people/>
Ravi Philemon, The Online Citizen

The government of the 60s through the early 80s went to the streets and successfully ‘sold’ many unpopular policies – like the population control and COE policies.

**** Cedric Foo: Talking Rubbish Again <http://atans1.wordpress.com/2011/10/19/cedric-foo-talking-rubbish-again/>
Thoughts Of A Cynical Investor

His comments means that Cedric Foo is saying that the government was wrong to support the resolution And that Singapore should have opposed the resolution or at least abstained from co-sponsoring it.

Or was he just attacking Sylvia Lim’s speech because it was made by an Opposition MP? Waz this about co-operating for the good of Singapore?

**** Unemployment Truth.....the Real Statistics... <http://singaporemind.blogspot.com/2011/10/unemployment-truththe-real-statistics.html>
Diary Of A Singaporean Mind

For many years, the PAP govt has tried to paint a rosy picture to Singaporeans on employment when the real situation on the ground has deteriorated badly especially among older Singaporeans.

**** Keep Bukit Brown Graves: Descendants <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_724778.html>
Chew I-Jin, Chew Kheng Chuan, Gerald Tan Kok Seng, Chia Hock Jin, Ong Chwee Im, Straits Times

Despite URA and LTA's assertions that they will work with the Singapore Heritage Society and other stakeholders to identify and document key heritage elements, it appears that this refers to mere 'data recording', and not a heritage study.

The erasure of these grounds will deal a substantial blow to the cultural history of Singapore.

**** Ways To Make Train Travel Irresistible <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_724781.html>
Yadhunath Srinivasan, Straits Times

Despite ageing systems, Tokyo and Mumbai, two of the world's most populous cities, maintain an incredible train frequency.

**** Allow Unbroken Stroll Along Marina Bay Boardwalk <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/OnlineStory/STIStory_724665.html>
Tan Ying San, Straits Times

I had looked forward to the opening and when it did, it was a let-down because one part of the walk, the section in front of the floating platform, was cordoned off. I assumed it was temporary to let the authorities iron out the logistics. But even after months, the section is still blocked.

**** New MIT Game Research Explores Singapore Culture From The Inside Out <http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2011/game-singapore-culture.html#.Tp3RH7JU8w0.twitter>
Andrew Whitacre, MIT

“We wanted to see how a game player's values can be mirrored in another culture,” says Dr. Clara Fernández-Vara SM ’04, the game’s product owner, who along with game director Richard Eberhardt oversaw the work of 10 interns over the eight-week summer program. “Singaporean culture was pretty much ideal in that sense. It’s distinctive and it offers the parameters needed to design a game in such a short time. It also facilitated the creation of a story: we could present Singapore almost as a character in itself.” In fact, much of the gameplay features Singapore’s famously heterogeneous cuisine.

**** Are Opposition Parties Enemies Of The State? <http://mysingaporenews.blogspot.com/2011/10/are-opposition-parties-enemies-of-state.html>
Chua Chin Leng, My Singapore News

**** How Hard Can It Be To Get A Job In Singapore? <http://sbr.com.sg/hr-education/news/how-hard-can-it-be-get-job-in-singapore>
Singapore Business Review

It will be very difficult as 58% of Singapore executives won't be hiring this quarter.

**** Feedback Chief Calls On Government To Engage 'Rational' Websites <http://journalism.sg/2011/10/19/feedback-chief-calls-on-government-to-engage-rational-websites/>
Cherian George, Journalism.sg

Yet, is it quite possible that the reason why many Singaporeans do not agree that even irrational postings "distort reality" is that these Singaporeans are confident about their own ability to discern the wheat from the chaff – not because they prefer the chaff, as Khor suggests.

While it is beyond doubt that a large proportion of online discussion (like offline conversation, let's not forget) is ill-informed and irrational, we've seen little evidence that, all said and done, this has caused actual harm.

**** Despite Muted Response, HDB Will Build BTO Flats <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC111019-0000405/Despite-muted-response,-HDB-will-build-BTO-flats>
Channel NewsAsia

Plans to build seven HDB Build-To-Order (BTO) projects are on track despite the subdued response of home-buyers.

**** 书局输局 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/fk/fk111019_001.shtml>
吴庆康, 联合早报

本地书局纷纷倒闭,是应该的。

**** 三个让人听出耳油的演讲 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp111019_013.shtml>
游润恬, 联合早报

他们虽然站在不同的政治立场——一个是反对党新议员、一个是执政党后座议员、一个是半只脚已踏入内阁的前高级公务员;但他们对各自的理念侃侃而谈时,那股执着,令人感到既感动又敬佩。

**** 单亲未婚母亲吃亏政策应重新检讨 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp111019_011.shtml>
联合早报

单亲未婚母亲在产假、育儿假等方面都无法享有和已婚母亲相同的福利,她们的孩子也往往因此输在人生的起跑线上。虽然这个群体不算大,但普杰立医生(白沙-榜鹅集选区)却认为,一些让单亲未婚母亲吃亏的政策需要重新检讨。

**** Yaw Shin Leong’s Speech (Debate On President’s Address) <http://wp.sg/2011/10/yaw-shin-leongs-speech-debate-on-presidents-address/>
The Workers' Party

First, we need more transparency and accountability in our employment and S-pass system. Second, we need further tightening of the work pass system by adjusting the inflow of foreign manpower by industry. Third, we need to enhance current workforce training in order to increase productivity.

**** "Future-proof" Jobs For PMETs, Urges MP <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1160379/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

MP for Chua Chu Kang GRC Low Yen Ling said there is a growing urgency to future-proof the jobs of Professionals, Managers, Executives and Technicians (PMETs). She suggested reshaping the attitudes for PMETs over 40 years old, and to look into practical ways of increasing the pipeline of fulfilling jobs for them.

**** Jimmying Gini For Political Sell <http://yawningbread.wordpress.com/2011/10/19/jimmying-gini-for-political-sell/>
Alex Au, Yawning Bread

It is nagging doubts like these that taint the report. Is it a statistical analysis or a piece of propaganda?

**** MICA’s New Agendum For Cyber Control? <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/10/micas-new-agendum-for-cyber-control/>
Howard Lee, The Online Citizen

Media did not cause our society to be polarised, but it has surely become a reflection of that polarity. The sooner the government realises that and take necessary steps to address it – that is, engage the people on their own turf and terms, and consult them as part of the wider national narrative – the better and sooner to re-bind our nation.

**** ISA Still Relevant In S'pore: DPM Teo <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1160395/1/.html>
S Ramesh, Channel NewsAsia

Mr Teo also explained why a specific Terrorism Act would not be adequate. He said that such an act would not allow pre-emptive action against those who have not yet committed overt deeds that warrant prosecution but nevertheless belong to a wider terrorist network, unless the act is very broad in scope and provides for preventive detention just like the ISA.

**** Maintain "Balanced And Healthy" Discussions In Media, MP Urges Govt <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1160399/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

Mr Baey appealed to the government to reduce its efforts to remove or correct what it perceives to be negative reports in mainstream media.

He said: "The relevant departments should take them as constructive feedback, a form of check-and-balance, and work on rectifying the situation. If the government were to persist on keeping a tight rein on mainstream media, it would lose credibility and people will rely even more on social media and the internet for alternative news and views."

**** MP Calls For More "Inclusive Growth" For Low-income S'poreans <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1160430/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

**** MHA: Why The ISA? Why And When Is The ISA Used? <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/10/mha-why-the-isa-why-and-when-is-the-isa-used/>
The Online Citizen