[MyAppleMenu] Oct 13, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Oct 13 18:59:00 EDT 2011

**** Apple Releases Find My Friends For iOS <http://www.macworld.com/article/162969/2011/10/apple_releases_find_my_friends_for_ios.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Lex Friedman, Macworld

The app, which requires iOS 5, lets you find your friends by geolocating their iOS devices—presuming your friends have granted you access to that data.

See Also: Hands-on: Find My Friends is Apple's Google Latitude [http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews/2011/10/hands-on-with-find-my-friends-apples-google-latitude.ars?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss], by Jacqui Cheng, Ars Technica.

**** Six Mostly Irrelevant iOS Changes That Make Me Smile <http://www.macsparky.com/blog/2011/10/12/six-mostly-irrelevant-ios-changes-that-make-me-smile.html>
MacSparky

1. Turn off e-mail badge.

**** Sprint Won't Sell iPhone 4S With Unlocked micro-SIM Card Slot <http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2011/10/sprint-wont-sell-iphone-4s-with-unlocked-micro-sim-card-slot.ars?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss>
Casey Johnston, Ars Technica

While some initial reports suggested that the owners of the Sprint iPhone 4S might be able to pop a local GSM microSIM into their phones while abroad and avoid Sprint’s roaming charges, Sprint denies that that is the case.

**** Apple Releases AirPort Utility For iOS <http://www.macworld.com/article/162968/2011/10/apple_releases_airport_utility_for_ios.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Lex Friedman, Macworld

AirPort Utility lets you manage your Wi-Fi network and AirPort base stations—including AirPort Express, AirPort Extreme, and Time Capsule—from your iOS device. The app allows you to configure base station and network settings, including advanced features like security modes, wireless channels, and more. It also provides a graphical overview of your network, a list of clients, and information about your external Internet connection.

**** iOS 5 Reviewed: Notifications, iMessages, And iCloud, Oh My! <http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews/2011/10/ios-5-reviewed-notifications-imessages-and-icloud-oh-my.ars?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss>
Jacqui Cheng, Ars Technica

We're talking significantly revamped notifications, Twitter integration, wireless sync, iCloud, home screen improvements, and more—so many, in fact, that we can't address everything buried within an app or setting in a single review. What we will do, however, is talk about the major updates as well as those tidbits that interest us the most after having used the OS. We did run across a few nitpicks here and there that we hope Apple addresses in future updates. Overall, though, we think it's worth upgrading to iOS 5.

**** iWork For iOS Updated With iCloud Integration <http://www.macstories.net/news/iwork-for-ios-updated-with-icloud-integration/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+macstoriesnet+%28MacStories%29>
Federico Viticci, MacStories

**** The Annoyment Center <http://brooksreview.net/2011/10/notification-center/>
Ben Brooks, The Brooks Review

As an idea it is great because now you can finally see all those past notifications. Except what the Notification Center really points out is that Apple had it right all along: old notifications truly are irrelevant and tend to be clutter.

**** Apple Releases iPhoto 9.2 With Photo Stream Support <http://www.macstories.net/news/apple-releases-iphoto-9-2-with-photo-stream-support/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+macstoriesnet+%28MacStories%29>
Federico Viticci, MacStories

**** Exciting And Ambitious <http://shawnblanc.net/2011/10/ios-5-icloud-review/>
Shawn Blanc

But now, with iOS 5 and iCloud, we no longer need the USB cable.

**** How To Upgrade Your iOS Device To iOS 5 <http://www.macworld.com/article/162925/2011/10/how_to_upgrade_your_ios_device_to_ios_5.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Serenity Caldwell, Macworld

iOS 5 has hit the stage, and eager users everywhere are getting ready to upgrade their devices. If you’re concerned about the upgrade process, or simply want to know all your setup options before making the big switch, let us help you upgrade your iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad to iOS 5 with this step-by-step guide.

**** Apple Updates Remote, iMovie For iOS <http://www.tuaw.com/2011/10/12/apple-updates-remote-imovie-for-ios/>
Dave Caolo, TUAW

This update offers a number of changes, including iOS 5 compatibility and the ever-popular "stability and performance improvements."

**** Aperture 3.2 Gets iCloud Integration With Photo Stream <http://www.macstories.net/news/aperture-3-2-gets-icloud-integration-with-photo-stream/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+macstoriesnet+%28MacStories%29>
Federico Viticci, MacStories

**** Apple Launches ‘iTunes Movie Trailers’ For iOS <http://www.macstories.net/news/apple-launches-itunes-movie-trailers-for-ios/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+macstoriesnet+%28MacStories%29>
Cody Fink, MacStories

**** Getting Started With iCloud, Apple's New Sync Service <http://www.macworld.com/article/162963/2011/10/meet_icloud_apples_new_sync_service.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Serenity Caldwell, Macworld

**** iOS 5 Now Protects Against DigiNotar, MD5-signed Certs <http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2011/10/ios-5-protects-against-diginotar-md5-signed-certs.ars?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss>
Chris Foresman, Ars Technica

The update removes trust for any and all security certificates from hacked certificate authority DigiNotar, and drops support for certs with MD5 hashes and updates TLS to version 1.2 to improve security of SSL connections.

**** Some Users Face Problems Upgrading To iOS 5 <http://www.macworld.com/article/162983/2011/10/some_users_face_problems_upgrading_to_ios_5.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Lex Friedman, Macworld

**** OTA Everything <http://brooksreview.net/2011/10/ota-everything/>
Ben Brooks, The Brooks Review

>From the OTA Delta updates to iOS itself, to iCloud, to WiFi sync — this is the stuff that really makes iOS devices feel magic.

**** Mac OS X 10.7.2, iPhoto 9.2 Bring iCloud Support <http://www.macworld.com/article/162973/2011/10/mac_os_x_10_7_2_iphoto_9_2_bring_icloud_support.html>
Lex Friedman, Macworld

Included in the 10.7.2 update is Safari 5.1.1, which adds the aforementioned iCloud support, along with a variety of other improvements. JavaScript performance is improved up to 13 percent over Safari 5.1, and Apple says that various hangs and excessive memory usage are addressed, too.

**** Apple Releases Xcode 4.2 <http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/12/apple-releases-xcode-4-2/>
Eric Slivka, MacRumors

**** Lion Recovery Update 1.0 Released <http://www.loopinsight.com/2011/10/12/lion-recovery-update-1-0-released/?utm_source=loopinsight.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+loopinsight%2FKqJb+%28The+Loop%29>
Peter Cohen, The Loop

**** The Good, Bad And Ugly Of Apple’s iOS 5 Update And iCloud <http://www.suntimes.com/technology/ihnatko/8182685-452/the-good-bad-and-ugly-of-apples-ios-5-update-and-icloud.html>
Andy Ihnatko, Chicago Sun-Times

A quick glance might not convince you that Apple’s changed much of anything. And yet this is probably the most fundamental shift Apple has made to the iPhone and the iPad since the company begrudgingly conceded that maybe allowing third-party developers to write apps for these things might be a good idea after all.

**** Review: BBEdit By Bare Bones Software <http://www.macnn.com/reviews/bbedit-by-bare-bones-software.html>
MacNN

BBEdit, from Bare Bones Software, is a robust text editor that can perform many coding functions. Although it is easy to use, it has many complex features. It can open almost any length document, provides custom color-coding, and offers multiple find options.

**** The Speaker <http://dcurt.is/2011/10/12/the-speaker/>
Dustin Curtis

Yet another one of those design decisions that you don’t really appreciate until you see someone doing it wrong.

**** Scott Forstall, The Sorcerer's Apprentice At Apple <http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/scott-forstall-the-sorcerers-apprentice-at-apple-10122011.html>
Adam Satariano, Peter Burrows And Brad Stone, BusinessWeek

As the person in charge of Apple’s mobile software division, he oversees the iOS operating system, which runs the iPhone and iPad, devices that account for 70 percent of Apple’s revenues. At 42 he’s the youngest senior executive at Apple. He may also be the best remaining proxy for the voice of Steve Jobs, the person most likely to channel the departed co-founder’s exacting vision for how technology should work.

**** iOS 5: Tips, Tricks & Hidden Features <http://www.macstories.net/tutorials/ios-5-tips-tricks-hidden-features/>
Chris Herbert, MacStories

**** Zone One By Colson Whitehead – Review <http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/oct/13/zone-one-colson-whitehead-review?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Patrick Ness, The Guardian

By nearly any definition, Whitehead is a literary writer of impeccable credentials. A MacArthur grant recipient, he's been shortlisted for both a Pulitzer and a National Book Award. He's written serious historical and contemporary fiction, but in a surprising move, he has now turned his hand to that most ubiquitous of modern phenomena: zombies.

**** Taking Away The Magic <http://the.taoofmac.com/space/blog/2011/10/13/0843>
Rui Carmo, Tao Of Mac

And Apple took away that magic, bestowing it solely to iPad 2 owners and leaving my hindbrain and fingers pointlessly swiping every now and then.

**** Demand For iOS 5 And iCloud Was So High, Apple Almost Broke The Internet <http://thenextweb.com/apple/2011/10/13/demand-for-ios-5-and-icloud-was-so-high-apple-almost-broke-the-internet/0/>
Matt Brian, The Next Web

**** Secrets Of iOS 5 <http://tidbits.com/article/12553?rss>
Jeff Carlson, TidBITS

Now that iOS 5 is out, we can focus our spotlight on stuff that we feel is cool, overlooked, or both.

**** iOS 5: Newsstand Overview <http://www.macstories.net/stories/ios-5-newsstand-overview/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+macstoriesnet+%28MacStories%29>
Graham Spencer, MacStories

Now with iOS 5, developers that are developing Newsstand apps can deliver a new “souped-up” push notification that informs their app (rather than the user as push notifications normally do), that a new issue is ready to be downloaded. When a Newsstand app receives such a notification, it can download in the background if the device is on WiFi. The main limitation here is that each app can only send 1 of these push notifications per day, so at the moment developers cannot develop newspapers that deliver both a morning edition and evening edition – although I suspect this might change eventually.

**** Cellphones Are Servers And Servers Are Cellphones <http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/10/12/cell-phones-are-servers-and-servers-are-cell-phones/?partner=rss&emc=rss>
Quentin Hardy, New York Times

The marriage of computing and cellphone technology is about to get a lot more interesting, with phones acting more like computer servers in a data center, and computers looking more like phones.

**** Startup Lets You Save And Share Parts Of Web Pages <http://www.technologyreview.com/web/38862/?ref=rss>
Erica Naone, Technology Review

No need to copy and paste—Clipboard employs advanced Web technology to let users save the part of a page they want.

**** Go Slow To Go Fast <http://www.slate.com/articles/life/transport/2011/10/rolling_speed_harmonization_how_colorado_fights_congestion_on_i_.single.html>
Tom Vanderbilt, Slate

Why highways move more swiftly when you force cars to crawl along at 55 mph.

**** The Symphony And The Novel – A Harmonious Couple? <http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/2011/oct/05/notes-letters-music-modernism-self>
Will Self, The Guardian

The high arts of literature and music stand in a curious relationship to one another, at once securely comfortable and deeply uneasy – rather like a long-term marriage.

**** The Man Who Sailed His House <http://www.gq.com/news-politics/newsmakers/201110/hiromitsu-shinkawa-japan-tsunami-rescue-story?printable=true>
Michael Paterniti, GQ

Two days after the Japanese tsunami, after the waves had left their destruction, as rescue workers searched the ruins, news came of an almost surreal survival: Miles out at sea, a man was found, alone, riding on nothing but the roof of his house.

**** Can MOM Keep Its Promise To Put Singaporeans First? <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/10/can-mom-keep-its-promise-to-put-singaporeans-first/>
Terry Xu, The Online Citizen

**** Back To The Past <http://www.sgpolitics.net/?p=7186>
Wong Wee Nam, Sgpolitics.net

It is sad that in this age and at our state of development that we still have the ISA. Though the act only allows for the detention without trial, it appears from books and speeches from ex-political detainees that they were subjected to cold treatment, solitary confinement and psychological pressures. It is totally unnecessary and regrettable that such treatments were meted out to active citizens who did not preach violence. This is why ISA can be such a cruel and intimidating instrument.

For these reasons, the Act should be replaced by one that is specifically used against terrorism.

**** MND Flags Two Areas As Possible New Towns <http://sg.news.yahoo.com/two-areas-flagged-as-possible-new-towns.html>
Jeanette Tan, Yahoo!

Tengah and Bidadari have been earmarked for development into new towns as the government prepares for a growing population, said the Ministry of National Development (MND).

**** Singapore To Decide On Yong’s Clemency Appeal <http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/singaporescene/pore-poised-decide-yong-clemency-appeal-035055338.html>
Andrew Loh, Yahoo!

President Tony Tan is expected to hand down his decision on the clemency appeal from death row inmate Yong Vui Kong anytime now.

**** Healthcare: Who Is Subsidising Whom? <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/10/healthcare-who-is-subsidising-whom/>
The Online Citizen

**** Decision To Charge Accused Belongs To Attorney-general: Minister <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_722879.html>
K. C. Vijayan, Straits Times

Law minister K Shanmugam has made clear it is the Attorney-General's (AG) right to decide on whether to charge an accused person or not and this is line that cannot be crossed.

**** Special Treatment Does Not Earn Respect.... <http://singaporemind.blogspot.com/2011/10/special-treatment-does-not-earn-respect.html>
Diary Of A Singaporean Mind

While old folks and children had to eat at an open tent, VIPs were put in the comfort an airconditioned room. The special treatment was not well received by one of the attendees of the event.

**** Singapore.The Stagnant Society? <http://sonofadud.com/2011/10/13/singapore-the-stagnant-society/>
Reinventing The Rice Bowl

Even if the MOM’s statistics are accepted at face value there would appear to have been little real income growth for the majority of Singaporeans. However given the caveats above the picture is undoubtedly worse than it appears.

**** Police Urge Public Not To Take Part In Raffles Place Protest <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1159221/1/.html>
Wayne Chan, Channel NewsAsia

The Singapore Police said it has received reports that a netizen is instigating the public to stage a protest at Raffles Place on Saturday, in support of the "Occupy Wall Street" protests in New York.

In a statement, the police urged members of the public not to be misled and participate in this activity, which is unlawful.

**** Singapore Firms Failing To Delete Data <http://www.zdnetasia.com/singapore-firms-failing-to-delete-data-62302493.htm>
Vivian Yeo, ZDNet Asia